Sunday, August 2, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge #4

The television was once again my aide in the Everything Austen Challenge, hosted by Stephanie of Stephanie's Written Word. I got lucky and caught "Emma, " starring Gwyneth Paltrow, just as it was beginning. I really quite like this movie version of the book, although it is not my favorite adaptation.

Both Paltrow and Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley are terrific. Alan Cumming as Mr. Elliott is also quite good as the character is written for the movie, but his character is very different from the character in the book. Toni Collete, a fine Australian actress, is completely miscast as Harriet Smith. For one thing, she doesn't remotely pass as a 17-year-old. On the other hand, Sophie Thompson, as Miss Bates, is brilliant.

This is one of those movies I will watch any time it's on t.v. Although there are some alterations to the story, they don't distract from the tale. All in all, a beautiful rendition of Austen's story of young Emma Woodhouse's misguided matchmaking attempts and ultimate personal growth.

8 comments:

  1. Haha, you should definetly read Edmund Bertram's diary, it was just amazing.
    Btw, I totally agree with you about the casting of Toni Collette for the part to Harriet Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog by way of Ti's Book Chatter. We have a lot in common. I have been married 27 years, have 2 girls and 1 boy, and am participating in the Everything Austen challenge as well. I am glad that I found your blog and look forward to reading more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this one advertised on tv a few times but haven't watched it. It looks like I should. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're doing great with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightly!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this movie version of Emma! Its just such a fun movie to watch. Definitely a great pick for the Austen Challenge. I think I will probably watch Lost in Austen on dvd this month for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ewen McGregor in this. He makes a great Frank Churchill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does! I completely forgot to mention him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite movies. I also think Paltrow and Northam are great as Emma and Knightley. And the film's score is just lovely. I could listen to it all day, every day.


    I've also noticed you're reading The Red Tent. It's a great book! One I think every female should read.

    ReplyDelete