Thursday, August 13, 2009

Learnoutloud.com And American Literature

Harriet Beecher Stowe
Today, when I was looking for something to listen to while I was working, I went to my tried and true learnoutloud.com, which I've previously mentioned. 

I've been listening to a lot of Mark Twain lately there. When I went to find something new of his to listen to, I discovered that I could find not one, not two but six of the books on the How Well Read Are You-American Literature Edition list that I posted the other day. So if you're looking for an easy way to knock a few of those pesky classics off the list, head on over there. 

I'm quite enjoying Harriet Beecher Stowe's "Uncle Tom's Cabin." I had no idea the old gal was such a wit. And I knew that the book was something of a treatise against slavery, but this is biting social commentary at it's best.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds great - I may have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Uncle Tom's Cabin and I just mentioned it in a comment over at Musings of a Bookish Kitty. How odd! I must be telepathic :)

    Thanks for the link. I am always looking for something to listen to while working.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm curious...what do you do that you get to listen to books while you work?? I'm feeling envious. I'm neck-deep in editing my novel and don't even have the energy to READ! Makes it kind of hard to be part of a reading community!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apartment was great - so great that we got it! We filled out the application and already paid the security deposit - we move in on October 1st!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I got reading lists for my Finnish and English classes for the next two years. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to go and check this out. Thanks for the recommendation! And classics aren't pesky! They are challenging. :P

    ReplyDelete