Saturday, November 21, 2009

Challenge Update

Only went for the Bronze Medal on this one, which is a good thing. Because I have yet to even pick a book. Although I'm leaning toward "The Shipping News" by Annie Proux. I'll have to get busy because this one ends December 31st and it would be embarrassing not to be able to finish.

Have my books all picked out and numbered for this one and have figured out that I will start with Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Wait 'Til Next Year." But haven't even started reading yet.

And here is where I really get embarrassed! I had such high hopes for completing this challenge. I had six great books picked out; I even owned all six of them so no trips to the library or bookstore were required. How have I done? One read, "The Red Tent," and the deadline is December 1st.

I did finish the "Everything Austen" challenge. But I almost feel like I cheated on that one. I ended up with eight things finished but only two of them were books. That just doesn't seem right!

What I've learned about challenges: challenges and review books do not always mesh well! I've been so excited about being offered books to review that I've been unable to get to the books that I already own or the books I need to read for challenges. In the coming year, I'm really hoping to find the right balance. Which will be necessary because I've still got the Random Reading Challenge to carry into 2010 and I've signed up for the All About The Brontes challenge and The Michener Challenge.

I'm eager to host a challenge and have an idea for one that would start the first of the year. At this point, I have to decide if I have the time to put it together and run it. And to find out if there's any interest. Any Gilmore Girls fans out there?

10 comments:

  1. It can be difficult to wedge review books into challenges! That's part of why I stopped accepting 99% of review copies-I realised I preferred reading books on lists that I already had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gilmore Girls fan and I'm thinking of doing the support your local library chellenge. I like your blog and will follow.
    All the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed about. You've put so much effort into everything and tried your best and that counts, for a lot! (I'm a Gilmore Girls fan btw).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - challenges can be exasperating. I love the start, I love the listing process! after that? meh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the whole balance thing. I was looking at my piles and the timelines for some reviews and think I am going to take it easy in the new year and do one review book a month and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep. And sometimes when I am watching The Mentalist and he is doing something funny I notice that I am just smiling all by myself in my room. It is a weird feeling. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Gilmore girls!

    Even though I am a new blogger and don't get nearly the amount of review requests as others do, I have found it still takes up a lot of time. I'm going to focus on reading the books I want and only accepting review copies I'm really interested in or might expand my reading horizons

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you on the balance thing - its hard! I have piles of books to be reviewed and piles of books to read for challenges and piles of books that I just want to read. Ugh! Oh well, its fun trying to whittle down those piles. By the by, I think you've done a great job with your challenges! Here's looking to a new year with some new reading challenges! By the way, I love Gilmore Girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I picked my first book for the Random Reading Challenge back in like October, but I still haven't finished it yet! I must get on that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore the Gilmore Girls!
    I am going to try some challehges starting January 1st and will see out i goes, never having done a challenge before! It's easy to get sucked into signing up for so many of them. I have to practice strict control!

    ReplyDelete