Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Favorite - March 5

The Trumpet of the Swan, by E. B. White, is the book that made Mini-me fall in love with books. It's not that he didn't like to read before then; he loved to have me crawl into bed with him and read as many books as I was willing to read. When he was in first grade, we bought a booked set of E. B. White books. I started with Charlotte's Web, then moved on to Stuart Little but put The Trumpet of the Swan off because it was the only one I hadn't read. Frankly, I didn't know anyone who had read it. But Mini-me was hooked almost from the start. When we were almost finished, he asked me not to read it one night. Confused, because he was enjoying it so much, I asked him why. "Because I don't want it to end," he told me. When we did finish it, he was so quiet and sad. "Can we start it again?" he asked. And that's when I knew I had a reader on my hands. Not just a kid that would read. But a kid that would love to read. A true mini-me!


Like the rest of his family, Louis is a trumpeter swan. But unlike his four brothers and sisters, Louis can't trumpet joyfully. In fact, he can't even make a sound. And since he can't trumpet his love, the beautiful swan Serena pays absolutely no attention to him.
Louis tries everything he can think of to win Serena's affection--he even goes to school to learn to read and write. But nothing seems to work. Then his father steals him a real brass trumpet. Is a musical instrument the key to winning Louis his love?

8 comments:

  1. I completely forgot about this book - a great book! So glad mini-me enjoys reading as much as you do. AWP is also a big reader, I like to read books over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. I know how he feels I never want to finish a really good book. I'm so glad you created another reader!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read it, though I did love Charlotte's Web when I was a kid. The plot to this one seems awfully similar to the movie Happy Feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story, Lisa! It's so heartwarming when a child discovers a love for a story like that. I haven't read The Trumpet Swan, but it sounds like a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never read this book as a kid but wonderfully did when I read it to my kids a few years ago. I think E.B. White is probably one of the most influential American writers ever--sure, his work for the New Yorker was important, but Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet Swan have touched so many lives and sparked so many imaginations.

    Nice to have a mini-me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you have a mini-me!! Charlotte's Web is what started my journey into books....love that story!! and I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book was read aloud to me when I was in 3rd grade. I had a wonderful teacher who was strict, a little scary, and had one crazy eye. Yet, she was an amazing reader and read out loud to us every Friday. She was expressive and enthusiastic. I especially remember her reading this book and how it deeply moved my 3rd grader self. What a wonderful memory! Thanks for bringing it to mind!

    ReplyDelete