Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Salon - February 13

Cold is all relative, isn't it? In August, forty degrees sounds wintery cold, hat and mittens and winter coat cold.  But this week, after ice and snow and temps below 0, forty degrees sounds like it might just be warm enough to throw open the windows for a little while!


Last week I told you about a shorty story competition called Shattering The Glass Slipper, hosted by Stephanie of Misfit Salon and Simcha of SSF Chat.  The two of them have narrowed the entries down to ten finalists and are asking for you help in determining a winner.  Click on the link to read the ten great selections and cast your vote any time before February 21st.  There are really some creative takes on the Cinderella tale to choose from!
There's been a lot of buzz about Amy Chua's book, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother lately.  To read a perspective about the political ideas that Chua may be secretly espousing disguised as a memoir, check out "Battle Shrug of the Democracy Dad" by Michael Bourne at The Millions.

Read Safe From The Sea this week and it managed to do to me what few books have ever managed to do--it made me cry.  Twice.  I may have already read the book that will end up being my favorite book of the year. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, can't wait to read your review of Safe From the Sea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've read some of the buzz and articles supporting and denouncing 'battle hymn' but haven't actually read the book myself. my hubby and i are kid-free, and i don't think this one would do anything but vex me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you warmed up some! We did too and I'm LOVING it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waiting to hear what Safe from the Sea is about!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting about Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother! My friend and coworker just finished the book and recommended it to me (I know nothing about it), but I had to admit to her that I wouldn't be able to read it for a few months...at least until after Joyce. You have me doubly curious now!

    Glad you're a bit warmer. I went walking yesterday and spotted some buds on the trees. Only a matter of time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to check out Safe From the Sea though I've been reading really depressive memoirs lately so I don't know if I want something that will make me cry right now. It will go on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had time to read the Cinderella stories--I'm reading the Jane Austen Made Me Do It stories and there are now over 50 of them!

    I enjoyed reading the Battle Shrug of the Democracy Dad--my only quibble is that I don't see myself as a lazy or indulgent parent just because I am trying to teach my kids to make their own decisions and live with the consequences of their choices. It's not all that easy keeping my mouth shut when I see them not doing what I have advised them to do do to reach a certain goal, but I'm not going to force them to follow my advice in all things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I will download Safe From the Sea to my Kindle!! Every review I've read glows about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the plug, Lisa!

    I read that article about the Tiger Mother as well. I tell you, I can't decide if all this negative publicity is actually doing her book a great service - advertisement you can't buy! It's certainly making me very curious to see if she's as deranged as the media is making her out to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't kidding when I said Safe from the Sea was one of my fave, books ever. Wasn't it divine? I couldn't find a thing wrong with it and it just played out so well.

    ReplyDelete