Monday, March 7, 2011

A Date You Can't Refuse by Harley Jane Kozak

A Date You Can't Refuse by Harley Jane Kozak
352 pages
Published March 2009 by Crown Publishing
Source: loaned by me by my parents

When she's finished performing jury duty on Yuri Milos' trial, Wollie Shelley, greeting card designer and artist, is more than a little surprised to have him approach her with a job proposal.  But even with a very generous salary offer, Wollie is sure that she'll turn him down...until an FBI agent approaches her and convinces her that it would be in her best interest to accept the job.  As in, issues that she's having with the care of her schizophrenic will become much worse for her if she doesn't agree with take the job and work undercover for the FBI.  Within 24 hours, Wollie finds herself living in the canyons of Calabasas, out of cell phone range, and wearing the designer clothes of her predecessor.  Who died in a car crash that no one seems to want to take about.  And someone seems to be shooting at one of the houses in the compound. When a corpse shows up while the team is out on a walk, Wollie really starts to become concerned for her safety but already she is starting to bond with the people she works with and she's not sure that she'll be able to walk away from them or turn them into the FBI.

I'm going to have to admit right up front that I go into any Kozak book wanting to like it because Kozak is a native Nebraskan who is actually an alum from the same high school that I attended.  After the first book, this was a lot easier because I discovered that I really did like her writing.  It's quick paced, humorous and loaded with fun characters.  Kozak also creates good guys with flaws and bad guys with redeeming traits. A Date You Cant' Refuse is not a book that will keep you on the edge of your seat so if you're the kind of reader that expects that in a murder mystery, these may be a little light for you.  But if you're looking for a quick, quirky read and an ending you won't expect, then I'd encourage you to pick up one of Kozak's books.  Her first Wollie Shelley was Dating Dead Men, followed by Dating is Murder, and most recently Dead Ex.  You don't need to start at the beginning of the series; Kozak does a terrific job of bringing the reader up to speed without making you feel like you're spending the first few chapters playing catch up.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like the synopsis on this one, and to find out that it really is as good as advertised really gets me excited. I am not normally a reader of this genre, but I have been surprising myself lately with what I've chosen to pick up. Great review and glad to hear that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She does sound interesting! I may have to pick one up! Great review.

    ReplyDelete