Monday, March 28, 2011

School Days by Robert B. Parker

School Days by Robert B. Parker
304 pages
Published October 2006 by Penguin Group
Source: my parents

Lily Ellsworth, wealthy matriarch and devoted grandmother, has hired Spenser, private detective, to prove her grandson, Jared Clark, innocent in a recent school shooting.  No one else, however, seems to think the boy is innocent, not even his own parents.  In fact, no one else, including Jared himself, seems to want to fight the charge at all despite the fact that there is no physical proof that Jared was involved, only the word of the one boy that was caught still in the school.

For Spenser, the question soon becomes not "if" Jared was involved in the shooting that killed seven people but "why." Why would a boy that had never caused any trouble suddenly decide to start shooting classmates? Where would the two boys have gotten the guns and the experience to shoot so accurately? And why is Jared so willing to go to prison without a fight?

This is the 33rd Spenser novel Parker wrote and it didn't take long to figure out how Spenser came to be so popular with readers.  He's walking testosterone with an eye for the ladies but faithful to his beloved.  He's a well-read tough guy. Spenser has a charm that's irresistible for men and women alike.  The case of Jared Clark is interesting with some surprising twists and turns, but this book is really all about Spenser. It's fast-paced, dialogue heavy with plenty of action and I couldn't put it down.

My parents are big fans of Parker's books, both his Spenser books and his westerns, so I've got no shortage of his books to choose from next and I'm looking forward to it!

Update: My dad wrote to remind me that Parker's books were not limited to the Spenser series or the westerns. The man was prolific!

Not only Spenser and the westerns;  there’s also the Sheriff Jesse Stone books (which CBS has turned into such excellent TV movies with Tom Selleck as Jesse) and those featuring female detective Sonny Randle (who sometimes collaborates with Spenser).  The westerns are my favorites, but I enjoy them all.

7 comments:

  1. I have never read him but given how I am about reading ALL of a series from the beginning, I've kind of shied away from this one because he has so many! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The subject matter of this book reminds me of We Need To Talk About Kevin, which just scared the pants off of me. It sounds like this book was a little different, though it dealt with some of the same things. I might have to check this one out. It seems like I would really like the main character a lot. He sounds kind of sexy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed Robert Parker's Spenser books. EARLY AUTUMN, PAST TIME and SEARCHING FOR RACHEL WALLACE especially. But most of them are pretty wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of Parker before. NExt time I'm itching for a mystery I'll pick one of his up! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read Parker but you made me feel like I'm missing out so I would like to add his books to my must read list!! This one sounds great! I must know the "why" behind the shootings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not read Robert Parker, it never seemed like something I would get into, though I watched the show with my parents when I was a kid.
    Robert Parker used to come into the Boston bookstore I worked at, since he was from around there, and he was a big guy, I remember, tough but sweet much like Spenser.

    At the library, it's fun to seem the old men checking him out. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of Parker's series, but Spenser is my fav. What a gift that he was so prolific. Even though he's gone, I have years of reading to do to finish all his series.

    ReplyDelete