Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday Salon - March 27

My mind is completely distracted from books today. It's been quite a past couple of days. 

Friday I was driving in to work and saw one of the worst car accidents I've ever witnessed; seeing a vehicle go airborne made me just want to turn around and go home. Last night I found out from my sister that the person in that vehicle was my niece's softball coach.  I was so relieved to find out that she walked away with only bruises. Once again a reminder of how important it is to wear your seat belt.

I'm really liking my job right now but it has been a stressful week with a new person to be trained and computer problems. So it was nice to get out Friday night to the comedy club and laugh. The headliner was Tom Wilson, who played "Biff" in the "Back To The Future" movies.  He got that subject out of the way right off the bat with this song:



My favorite part of his routine was the part about shopping at Costco. I was laughing so hard I began to worry that my asthma was going to kick in.

Last night Miss H and I joined my sister and her family at my niece's Senior Prom for the coronation since she was a member of the court. She looked so beautiful and happy and I was thrilled to be able to see her. You may have heard about the shooting that happened at her school in January when a student who had been expelled came back to the building a killed an assistant principal and wounded the principal. It was good to see all of the kids having such a great time. Their prom was held in a convention center that is attached to our big entertainment venue. Uncle Kracker was opening for Kenny Chesney there last night and one of the girls from the high school talked to him about what had happened at their school. He and some of his band mates made a surprise appearance at the prom and played a few songs. What a neat thing for these kids who have been through so much!

On the agenda today: spring cleaning and taxes. I'd like to spend the afternoon reading but the bug to clean and lighten things up has really bitten me this weekend. I've got a couple of mysteries I'm reading right now that I'll finish and post about this week to wrap up Mystery March. Then I'm on to reading Omaha authors for April. Really looking forward to those books!

What are you reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know Biff was a stand up comic. Funny video!

    I was bitten by the same cleaning bug yesterday. Now that I have that out of the way, I can enjoy my leisure activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Fun video! :) Sounds like you had a great weekend! Enjoy that cleaning. I should do it too. Hmmm... I'll ponder the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been spring cleaning around here like crazy the past few weeks. Is it something in the air?

    Instead of spring cleaning or doing taxes, I'm reading a delightful book, Jam Today.

    Here's my Sunday Salon post for this week. I hope you will stop by and
    say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started two books - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest and The School of Essential Ingredients. But I have a feeling I won't get much reading done this week. Just not in the mood.

    What a great prom story! I just can't imagine being one of those kids. My cousin-in-law's son goes to that school, and I still think about what it must have been like for his mom while that was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A night of laughter is certainly good for the soul. I'm glad that the kids are trying to get back to some sort of normal..that's a devastating thing to happen.

    Here's to you having a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow -- so much going on!! I can imagine you must have been terribly upset at seeing that accident. With everything else you have going on, hopefully you've gotten that off your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice surprise for those kids! That's really awesome after they've been through so much.

    I think I may have to do some spring cleaning today... maybe it'll give the weather a hint that it's SPRING now, and to stop the snow and 30 degree temps. Brrrr.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading this and my husband was reading over my shoulder and he said "Hey it's Biff!". Cool!
    I am not a huge fan of Kenny Chesney but that is a pretty nice thing he did.

    I am so in the mood for spring cleaning but it hasn't been nice enough yet. I really want to tackle our garage. And taxes, well, i can safely say they are done. whew.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lisa--sounds like a lot of things going on right now. I hadn't heard about the school shooting but what a bright note about the Kenny Chesney appearance.

    And what is it about spring that has us all wanting to clean? Is it the promise of warmer weather or the day light lingering longer in the evenings when we get home from work? I think baby is my excuse, but I'm with you on the cleaning.

    Hope this week is going well for you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete