Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sunday Salon - October 9


What a crazy week I've had...again! Prefer not to have another one like it but, on the plus side, I've had something of my own reading marathon the past four days. I managed to finished the better part of one book and two more and I've gotten a good start on a fourth book. Now that does feel good!


My month of Fall Feasting will finally kick off this week with a reviews of Four Kitchens by Lauren Shockey and Table of Contents by Judy Gelman and Vicki Levy Krupp. Next up for my foodie reading is (finally!) Julie Powell's Julie and Julia. I might just have to follow this one up with a girls' movie night. My sister, niece, daughter and I all went to see the movie in the theater and loved it. I'm thinking we'll kick the guys out, get some popcorn and candy, and create the fun.

This week I'll also be reviewing Waiting for Robert Capa by Susana Fortes for a TLC Book Tour. Capa was a Hungarian combat photographer; the story of Capa and his love, Gerta Taro, have interested me since I first learned about him a couple of years ago so I jumped at the chance to read this one.

Next weekend is the Omaha Lit Fest. I believe I've mentioned (a few hundred times) how impressed I was with last year's event. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to this year's event and getting a chance to introduce myself to Mary Helen Stefaniak (The Cailiffs of Baghdad, GA). Ms. Stefaniak teaches at Creighton University, here in Omaha, and I'm so excited that she's agreed to meet with the Omaha Bookworms in person this month!

Next up for me this week is The Kitchen Counter Cooking School: How a Few Simple Lessons Transformed Nine Culinary Novices into Fearless Home Cooks by Kathleen Flinn. I'm hearing great things about this one so I'm really looking forward to it. What are you reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. Glad you've been able to get some reading done! Hope the week ahead is better for you - I know the feeling - lot's of minor domestic hiccups with household items, not people, thankfully.
    Like you it's literary festival time - so have a good one! I know you were inspired last year and I look forward to what you have to say.
    I've got lots of books on my TBR pile but still reading The Sandalwood Tree (Elle Newmark) at the moment. Not sure what to read next as I've got some library books I ordered aged ago ready for collecting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure whether you are receiving my comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for all of your foodie reviews!! I actually have Table of Contents somewhere on my desk--need to fish it out and check out some recipes!

    Hope you have a good week, Lisa. And look forward to your Omaha Lit Fest report. We're sorely lacking for lit festivals down here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to say that the movie, Julia and Julie, was sooooo much better than the book. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like that! Fall Feasting should be some sort of official blogging event. Looking forward to your Four Kitchens review. I never did read Julie & Julia (enjoyed the movie though), but I LOVED My Life in France. Hope the upcoming week is a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A movie night sounds like a lot of fun. I really need to do that with my girlfriends!

    I hope you enjoy the Lit Fest! I live in such a small area, its hard to find things like that around here without traveling a huge amount. Maybe one day I'll get the chance to go to an event like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So looking forward to your kitchen inspired posts, and I am thinking that you seemed to have chosen some great books! I loved Julie and Julia, and thought that both the book and the movie were great. It's also great that you will be attending the wonderful Lit Fest again this year, and will get the chance to talk to an esteemed author. I hope you have an amazing time, and I am looking forward to your update about the event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, I'm looking forward to your foodie posts! I bet the Lit Fest will be a great time. I can't wait to hear about it.

    Not much reading going on here. I was going to read today but I've gotten sidetracked so many times it's unbelievable. When I am reading I'm reading The Manicurist by Phyllis Shcheiber and it's good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have some great events and books to look forward to this week1

    ReplyDelete