Monday, June 4, 2012

Armchair BEA - Introductions

It's that time of year again - when bloggers nationwide start buzzing about Book Expo America being held this week in New York City. Much as we'd all love to be there (maybe next year!), most of us won't be. Thanks to some amazing bloggers, we'll still get to share in some of the fun with Armchair BEA. Hopefully I won't bore all of those who aren't bloggers but I'm going to get out my pictures of New York City from my honeymoon and pretend like I'm there this week learning about all of the upcoming books and listening to authors, publishers and other bloggers take books!

The organizers of Armchair BEA have asked us to share a little about ourselves to kick off the week:

I'm a wife, mom, reader, and lazy gardener who loves movies, music, and entertaining. I got into blogging as a way to record my thoughts on books, interact with other readers and to learn something new. I can't believe I've been blogging for three years already!

One of my favorite features on my blog is Fairy Tale Fridays. It's been largely missing for a few months recently due to a Bleak House readalong and other life events but it's making a comeback next week. It was inspired by the Omaha LitFest a couple of years ago and might focus on new books or movies, fairy tale authors or illustrators, or it may be a review of new or classic fairy tales...or both. I can't wait to pull out my books again!

My reading tastes have not necessarily changed since I started blogging but they have certainly expanded and I push myself to read more of the things that used to be on the fringe of my reading. I definitely read more nonfiction, although that has as much to do with having had more time to listen to NPR in the past few years. Blogging certainly has opened my eyes to books from all over the world as I've been exposed to new books and "met" new people from all over the world.


8 comments:

  1. I look forward to the resumption of Fairy Tale Fridays - very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does one do at Book Expo America?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...stopping by to say Hi. I'm not participating in the Armchair BEA, but reading all of the posts has been fun. It's always great learning a bit more about fellow book bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep meaning to go back and reread some fairy tales. I loved them as a kid and I think I'd love them even more as a grown up. I'll look forward to seeing the reappearance of this on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Diane, these are fun posts to read from everyone.

    Looking forward to your fairytale return - you are educating many of us through these posts!

    My reading changed when I started blogging but now I'm pretty faithful to who I was before I blogged. I enjoy escapism so I read a blend of chick lit, lit fiction and of course you know how much I like to learn through books. Most of my favorite reads I don't talk about on the blog (personal interests like nutrition, yoga, running, photography, science....).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the term "lazy gardener." I like the idea of a garden but I tend to kill things so it's better if someone else takes care of it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo! Honeymooned in NYC, huh? Very cosmopolitan of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a bunch of Fairy Tales in college, but then didn't major in education and never read any again. I'm not a huge short story fan tho, which is what a fairy tale is.

    ReplyDelete