Friday, June 22, 2012

Fairy Tale Friday - Perhaps You Grew Up With The Fractured Version?


I have the draft of a very serious post about the marketing of fairy tale princesses that I was going to polish for this week's post. But when I decided to search Pinterest to see what kind of fairy tale images I could find there, I came across this:

I was completely sidetracked. While I may have grown up reading Andersen, Grimm Brothers and Perrault fairy tales, I also grew up with The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. One of my favorite things about the show was Fractured Fairy Tales. All of the episodes was written by A.J. Jacobs and narrated by Edward Everett Horton. Jacobs took classic fairy tales and turned them into parables with a satirical twist. You can watch several of the episodes on YouTube, buy DVD's of them, and, I have just discovered, you can even buy a book of the stories with illustrations of the animation from Random House. Ssshhh - don't tell The Big Guy but I think I just found one of his Christmas presents! If you never watched the show, or if you'd like to take a trip down memory lane, here's a little treat for you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to Fractured Fairy Tales, Lisa. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I loved Fractured Fairy Tales! Rocky and Bullwinkle was one of my favorites and the FFTs were one of the highlights of the show. Awww, I'm all nostalgic, Lisa. Thanks for the memories. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that trip down memory lane. I had forgotten about Fractured Fairy Tales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this! I had no idea they were on youtube. I was a bit disappointed with this Cinderella though, but I will soldier on and watch some other ones! :--)

    ReplyDelete