Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday Salon - June 24



Can it really be the last week of June already? I haven't gotten to a lake, river, or even a swimming pool yet! It was too hot the first part of the week to even be outside but the past few days have been great for sitting out on the patio reading.

I found this great bookshelf on Pinterest the other day and I must say I love the idea of combining two of my favorite things. I doubt I can convince The Big Guy to hang a gutted baby grand piano on the wall, though. It did make me wonder what I might be able to do with an old upright. Hmmm...

I started Peter Geye's The Lighthouse Road this weekend. You may recall that Geye's Safe From The Sea was one of my favorite books of 2011 so I've got high hopes for this one. Leif Enger, of Peace Like A River, has this to say about it:


 The Lighthouse Road is a cinematic thundercloud gusting across the northern landscape Peter Geye so clearly loves.
With its conflicted heroes and their seafaring, bootlegging, lumber-camp agonies,
this book understands hard work and heartbreak -- it takes no shortcuts but delivers its cargo in generous style,
a tale wrapped in blizzards and viewed through the glass eye of history.

Geye has his work cut out for him with this one. Not only does he have his first book to live up to, I started it on the heels of Laura Moriarty's The Chaperone, which I loved. It's been a while since I can say I really loved a book. I almost didn't start The Lighthouse Road just yet until I could put a book I wasn't hoping to love in between these two. 

This week I'll be reviewing Louise Young's My Dear I Wanted To Tell You and The Chaperone. I'm not sure what Fairy Tale Fridays will bring this week - I've been distracted from my plans the past couple of weeks so I may just wing it.

What are you reading this week?

**I have no idea what is happening with the bottom half of this post! I'm going to have to stop using copy and paste - I end up fighting with my posts every time!**

12 comments:

  1. I love that bookshelf.... now I am thinking what could I do with a bike on the wall...lol...have books in the basket? I may need to pick up an old bike.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your review of The Chaperone, which I also have to read. The Lighthouse Road sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been hot where I live too, hopefully we will have cooler weather this week. I just finished Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna QuindlenI have been a long time fan but found her latest to be disappointing. I dont know if it was the fact that it was an audiobook, Quindlen narrates or that I just wasn' t that interested in what she was talking about.

    Next up, The Alienist by Caleb Carr for Book Group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The baby grand makes a gorgeous bookshelf! I think you need one. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new header!

    The Chaperone is one book people have been RAVING about - I will have to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a unique bookcase! I wonder if it houses a collection of music-related books--I assume so.

    I've never heard of Peter Geye, but his subject is appealing.

    >With its conflicted heroes and their seafaring, bootlegging, lumber-camp agonies...

    Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique bookcase! I wonder if it houses a collection of music-related books--I assume so.

    I've never heard of Peter Geye, but his subject is appealing.

    >With its conflicted heroes and their seafaring, bootlegging, lumber-camp agonies...

    Sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool bookshelf:) I haven't been to the beach yet either for some reason, but we did have some cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a neat bookshelf! I could see using a piano for that, but only if it was already completely gutted (and free). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you enjoy The Lighthouse Road as much as Safe from the Sea. I haven't been reading much lately. However, I've got one non fiction that I'm hoping to get around to reading - Francesco da Mosto's 'Francesco's Mediterranean Voyage - a cultural journey through the Mediterranean from Venice to Istanbul' with lots of great photos. This book will have to satisfy my travel interest with a seafaring aspect from the comfort of my deck-chair. Hopefully, there will be some Summer sunshine over here soon for me to relax and read in that deck-chair!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Lighthouse Roads is one of the books I got from BEA that I'm most excited about. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! Though, if I had a grand piano, I'd have a tough time turning it into a bookshelf. Owning a grand piano is on my bucket list. I've gotten the chance to play one a couple times and love it so much more than my spinet. I even imagine that I play better. :)

    ReplyDelete