Monday, September 10, 2012

Book Blogger Appreciation Week


Today kicks off Book Blogger Appreciation Week 2012 and today we've been asked to talk about some of the blogs we enjoy reading daily. If you read this blog regularly, you already know about some of the blogs I read on a regular basis because I've linked to them or talked about them a lot.

I like to think that book bloggers provide a great resource to readers but sometimes it can be hard to find blogs that speak to you. I follow a lot of blogs, a list that is constantly changing as I find new bloggers to connect with and sometimes make the hard decision to stop following others. I'm looking for a few things when I add new blogs to my reader: a blogger with similar reading tastes, particularly those who will also push me to look at books out of my comfort zone; a blogger I can establish a relationship with - a big part visiting blogs is about establishing relationships; and blogs that have that something extra to offer. That last one is hard to define - it may be a blogger that has a unique feature I enjoy, a fantastic voice coming through in the writing, or a particular style of writing that speaks to me. 

All of that being said, here are some of the blogs I enjoy regularly that I might not have talked about before and wanted to make sure you were aware of:

Diary of An Eccentric: Writings of An Eccentric Bookworm:  Anna reads a lot of historical fiction, with an emphasis on Austen-related writings and war-related writings. She is also the co-host of War Through The 
Generations. Anna's daughter also writes great reviews of childrens/young adult books.

Lakeside Musing: JoAnn and I almost always agree on books that we've both read so when she writes a review on a book I haven't read it, it's definitely getting added to my wish list. She brings "new" classics to my attention and definitely has a taste for literary fiction.

SurLaLune Fairy Tales Blog: One of my go-to fairy tale blogs. SurLaLune explores the tales, has articles about what's new in fairy tales, offers fairy tale-related products and even compiles books of fairy tales. It's an excellent resource! 

Mystica: In the world of book blogs, it's easy to get overwhelmed by all of the new books being reviewed. Here I get to find new-to-me older books and I love that. Even more fun, Mystica is located in Sri Lanka and she shares wonderful things about her life and the culture. One of my biggest surprises when I started blogging was the fact that I was going to get to know people internationally. 

A Bookish Way of Life: Another blogger who has very similar reading tastes, I really enjoy Nadia's reviews. She always tells it like it is; she is not afraid to gush nor is she afraid to tell you straight out if she doesn't like a book (but she is always very clear on why and never mean). 

If these are new to you, please stop by and say hello!

10 comments:

  1. I'm learning about so many new blogs today - my Reader is going to explode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh brother... I am living under a rock. I had no idea it was BBAW - but then I'm the gal who signed up for (& paid for) BEA and didn't attend!!

    Since giving up my laptop... and relying only on an ipad - my lifestyle has changed. Throw in the hip and recent stuff... :)

    Enjoy this week Lisa. ARe you looking for a book club selection for October? If yes, Cloud Atlas looks interesting. And the movie will be released Oct 26th. Something VERY different that what we typically read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know only two and gotta check the others!

    Here is my BBAW: Appreciation post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found you from Musings of a Bookish Kitty's list! I am really enjoying everyone's appreciation posts. I am behind in my Tana French (have only read In the Woods) but I'm seeing her books mentioned all over the blogosphere today. I think I've visited your blog before, but lost track of you. Thanks to BBAW, I've found you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How am I only familiar with Anna and JoAnn from your list?! Absolutely agree that JoAnn is my source for "new classics" and also my go-to for audiobooks.

    I'm always looking for the something extra to offer. Most times this comes from relationships--a lot of which seems to be built on twitter. I'm sad that some of my favorite bloggers don't join (but understand). I've loved loved loved getting to know you better on twitter (and of course via blogging). Happy BBAW Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! And you made The Girl's day, too! I've long enjoyed visiting your blog and have received many book suggestions from you as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few of them are new to me and I will check them out for sure. I love JoAnn's blog big time!! Her reviews have made me read outside of my comfort zone and to also embrace audio!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an excellent list of blogs... I'm honored to be included! Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I didn't participate in BBAW but have to agree JoAnn, Anna and Mystica's blog reviews make me add all kinds of new books to me TBR list. Your blog is another I regularly read even though I don't comment often enough:(

    ReplyDelete