Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Rewind


This week for Top Ten Tuesday, the ladies at The Broke and The Bookish are letting us pick a topic that we missed or to which we want to add a second round. Well, since this is only the second time I've done a Top Ten Tuesday, I got to choose from all of the previous topics. I've chosen to collect the Top Ten Books I Can't Believe I've Never Read, in no small part as a reminder that it's time to get around to them. In no particular order, here are the books I really need to make time for:

1. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway: This one has appeared in so many movies that I've loved. If the authors of the screen plays thought the book was important enough to include, it's probably something I need to read. Although, I must admit, it makes me a bit nervous.


2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: When I was in junior high, I read a couple of things by Ray Bradbury and loved them. How, then, to explain me never having read his manifesto against censorship? I have no answer. Ryan, of Reading In Taiwan, reminded me in a Banned Books Week post last week, why I need to make time for this one.


3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: I've seen numerous adaptations of this one and love the story. I like Dickens, even when he challenges my patience (as he so often did as I read Bleak House).


4. The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins: As much as I love books of this era, it's inconceivable that I've never read anything by Collins.


5. The Pillars of The Earth by Ken Follett: Historical fiction + blogger recommendations + Mini-me's best friend's recommendation = why have I not read anything by Follett yet? 


6. Reading Lolita In Tehran by Azar Nafisi: This one was sitting on my nightstand for four years but somehow never managed to work its way to the top of the pile. In the meantime, I've read a lot of books about the women of Afghanistan and Iran and I'm constantly drawn to books in this region of the world; this is obviously a book that is right up my alley.


7. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers: I think the title says it all. How could you not want to reading a heartbreak work of staggering genius?


8. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston: Alice Walker (The Color Purple) said of this novel, "There is no more important book." 

 

9. The Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton: You're all probably very aware of how much I love Wharton (lord knows I've told you often enough!), but I've never read this one. It comes highly recommended to me by JoAnn of Lakeside Musings and I trust her taste implicitly.


10. The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt: I'd never heard of Byatt before I started blogging but as soon as I did, this one started being one of "the" books that is universally loved by bloggers.


10 comments:

  1. We share a lot of unreads -- Moveable Feast (what a great title, and subject matter, and I actually like Hemingway), Fahrenheit 451 (all three of my kids read it in school and loved it!), Great Expectations (your blurb fits my situation exactly).

    I only read Their Eyes Were Watching God when Erin Blakemore, author of The Heroine's Bookshelf, hosted a group read--plus this book got a chapter in her book, and that intrigued me enough to join in. Fantastic story and writing.

    Woman in White is fabulous--I reread it a year or so ago during it's 150th anniversary, following the serialization schedule. Enjoy!

    Looks like you have the start of a 2013 reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Expectations was a favorite of mine, a very wonderful book. But A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius? Well, all I can say is the title is the best thing about it. It kind of stunk. Well, it stunk a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great selection - Pillars Of The Earth is one of my all time favourite reads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite a list! I've read several of the titles you mention, but not others. If only there was more time in the day for reading, right? You really must read The Woman in White!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a few I've never heard of before. Great ones to get to. I have a huge shelf like this one waiting. Thanks for sharing. Their Eyes Were Watching God has also been on my must read list for quite awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm kind of excited to see that I've read many of these! The first half anyway. Their Eyes Were Watching God is a wonderful one but the dialect is tough. I've wondered if it's better to be listened to? Pillars was really good but boy is it long!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great topic. We have the Eggers book for this month's book club!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read 3 of those from your list. Hope you can cross a few off soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just know you're going to love The Custom of the Country! Their Eyes Were Watching God read by Ruby Dee is amazing on audio. The Children's Book is waiting on my tbr shelf, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Moveable Feast - Read it! Right now! It's surprising quick and entertaining.
    Fahrenheit 451 - Read it! Right now! Or maybe after A Moveable Feast.
    Great Expectations - I haven't read it, either.
    The Woman in White - Surprisingly entertaining.
    The Pillars of the Earth - Long.
    Reading Lolita - Kinda forgettable.
    Eggers - meh. Although to be fair, I've only read one of his books. But I was left with the impression that he thinks highly of himself. Probably not very fair of me, but there you have it.
    Eyes - Read it! Right now!!
    Never even heard of the Wharton book.
    Byatt - I've failed at Possession twice on audio and once in print. I'm guessing I'll never get to this one.

    There you have it...my two pennies.

    ReplyDelete