Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Books To Get In The Halloween Spirit


This week, with Halloween only a week away, the ladies at The Broke and The Bookish are asking us to give you our top ten books to get you in the Halloween spirit. I don't read many scary books so my ideas about getting you in the Halloween spirit will not have you hiding under your covers at night.


1. The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid Of Anything by Linda Williams, illustrated by Megan Lloyd:
For the little ones, this is a marvelous story about being brave plus you can make it interactive. All three of my kids loved it when they were little.


2. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving: the classic tale of the ill-fated Ichabod Crane.


4. The Little Stronger by Sarah Waters: Is the house haunted or is someone manipulating its inhabitants?

5. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James: a classic ghost story

6. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski: The issue with this one is that you may go mad trying to read it before the scary house in it makes the inhabitants mad. Mini-me loved this one.

 
 
7. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman: Zombies. Graphic novel. This one series comes highly recommended by Mini-him.


8. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: Okay, I haven't actually read this one but since I'm going to soon I'm hoping it will get me in the Halloween spirit and I'm on a haunted house roll here.


9. Anything by Edgar Allan Poe - seriously, anything.

10. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury: The carnival is supposed to be one of the joys of childhood but not in this tale. Scarier than monsters are the things that are supposed to be safe.

What do you read to put yourself into the Halloween spirit?


10 comments:

  1. Great selection though I'm afraid many of them may prove too scary for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantabulous choices!!! I picked a couple of these myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow gets me every time. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been curious about House of Leaves for ages. Hope l can summon the courage to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This month I've been reading "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier and "The Witches" by Roald Dahl...both fantastic October reads! Thanks for the other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - you got several of my favorites in this list. And you've given me a couple to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Turn of the Screw is a good choice. I want to read Susan Hill's The Woman in Black as we've just watched the DVD. It was scary but hubby and I didn't agree with the ending so perhaps reading the novel might inform us of some unanswered questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going with The Little Stranger. It sounds so wonderful, and has been sitting on my shelves for such a long time! Nice choices you've made today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read one of the Walking Dead graphic novels. My son has all of them plus two books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I got The Little Old Lady Who Wasn't Afraid Of Anything per your recommendation! but since Elle doesn't want to sit through any books these days it's just collecting dust. Maybe next year will be better. ;)

    ReplyDelete