Thursday, December 20, 2012

Looking Forward

2013 Reading Challenges

It's that time of year again, time to think about which reading challenges I'd like to join for the coming year. Every year there are so many challenges that pique my interest. And every year I sign up for more than I can manage. With my commitment to take on fewer books for review, I'm hoping to do a better job with challenges. But I know I still need to be careful with what I sign up for. I know, I know - there are no repercussions if I don't succeed but I hate knowing that I've failed. So, after careful consideration, here are the challenges I'm signing up for in 2013.

In 2012, I knocked this one out of the park. Which would lead me to believe I should sign up for the highest level and since it is a "challenge" I probably should. But I'm not going to because I want to still be having fun while I'm reading.  So I'll be signing up for the Medieval level, which means I need to read 15 historical fiction novels of some type in 2013. Piece of cake!





Hosted by Beth Fish Reads, the categories for What's In A Name for 2013 are:
1. A book with up or down (or equivalent) in the title: Deep down True, The Girl Below, The Diva Digs up the Dirt
2. A book with something you'd find in your kitchen in the title: Loose Lips Sink Ships, The Knife of Never Letting Go, Breadcrumbs
3. A book with a party or celebration in the title: A Feast for Crows, A Wedding in Haiti, Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness
4. A book with fire (or equivalent) in the title: Burning for Revenge, Fireworks over Toccoa, Catching Fire
5. A book with an emotion in the title: Baltimore Blues, Say You're Sorry, Dreams of Joy
6. A book with lost or found (or equivalent) in the title: The Book of Lost Fragrances, The World We Found, A Discovery of Witches

Foodies Read 2013
This is a new one for me but won't it tie in perfectly with my Fall Feasting reading? I imagine I may sneak one or two more books centered around food and/or drink during the year as well. Still, again, I don't want to overdo, so I'm going to sign up at the Pastry Chef level which means I'm committing to 4-8 food related books.




Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2013
I'm not sure I've done very well with this one this year. Despite taking on fewer review books, I'm still bringing new books into my house and they seem to get read faster than the ones that were here before January. Still, I'd like to make sure I'm at least thinking about reading the books I already own so I'll once again be signing up at the Mt. Vancouver Level, meaning I need to read 24 or more books that I already own. Books I get after January 1, 2013 do not count. My other challenges should help me with this one.

2013 Audio Book Challenge
Ever since I discovered that the library has audio books, I've been enjoying having a book to listen to on my ride to and from work. Still, I'm never sure what I'll find there and I still haven't figured out how to get books onto my iPod (honestly, I haven't tried that hard). So I'll be joining this one at the lowest level, Flirting, so I only have to listen to 6 books.


Telling Tales Challenge 2013
A new to me fairy tale challenge for 2013 that also incorporates mythology. I've kind of gotten off track this fall with my fairy tales and myths but I'm wanting to get back to them in the coming year and this will help remind me. To make sure I keep everything balanced, though, I'm signing up for the Princess level which means I need to read 10 books. I would have only signed up for 5 but I didn't want to be a Troll Under the Bridge!

Book To Movie Challenge
Another new challenge for me. Since I love movies almost as much as I love books, I think this might be a perfect fit. I'm going to start cautiously, as a Movie Fan. Here are the levels:
Movie Fan - read 3 books and watch their movies
Movie Devotee - read 6 books and watch their movies
Movie Lover - read 9 books and watch their movies
Movie Aficionado - read 12 books and watch their movies

 In January, Nymeth and Iris are hosting Long Awaited Reads Month. They are devoting the month to reading those books you've been wanting to get to "soon" except that "soon" just never seems to come. Hannah at Word Lily and I have been talking about reading Les Miserable together since we were both too busy to join either of the recent readalongs so that may be the only book I get through in January. If we don't do that one in January, I'm thinking Dickens, Byatt, and O'Nan are on the agenda.




In February, Resistance is Futile is hosting Social Justice Theme Read which I was only just considering until Half The Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity For Women Worldwide arrived in my mailbox (Thanks, Nadia!). I'm in! The idea is to read fiction or non-fiction books that will educate readers about social injustice in the world and the organizations that have been working for social justice locally and world-wide.


What challenges are you signing up for in the coming year? Or have you sworn them off?

9 comments:

  1. All the best with your challenges, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome challenges! I will be joining you in the Foodies, Audiobook, and Mount TBR ones. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love book challenges but I never find the time to get all of them in. So I've sworn them off for a year or two. I'm excited to see what books you have in store for these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only challenge I am going to join is the one that makes you read your own books. I want my whims to take over this year, and only read the things I want to read!! Good Luck with these challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are some new challenges to me on this awesome list. I think I will have to check out a few!!! Have fun with each of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of these challenges. So diverse. I don't know what my blog will be doing next year. Haven't gotten that far. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your challenge posts. I am mainly reading non fiction these days, books that I never blog about (not sure why). Mostly travel, cookbooks, and personal growth.

    If you don't read Half the Sky, watch the PBS special! It's hard to watch but important.

    I JUST received a copy of Tomorrow's Table in the mail yesterday.

    I'm back to trying to read a book a month - hard to believe right? I have been carrying around Winn Scotch's new novel for over two weeks, only on page 100. I just don't have time to sit. I have also all but bailed on audio books, opting for music or silence.

    Enjoy your challenges Lisa - I love that you try new things and discover new books through them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. swear off challenges? how to do that? i've signed up to 10, so far, we have 3 in common: http://wordsandpeace.com/2012/12/05/2013-reading-challenges/

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound fun, and how cool to have a Social Justice challenge. Avoiding setting goals for the blog til after the holiday... last year's resolutions mostly went by the wayside!

    ReplyDelete