Sunday, December 16, 2012

Sunday Salon - December 16



Everyone ready for the holidays? I've got so much left to do; so glad I have a couple of extra days off this week to get it all done. Homemade gifts are a wonderful idea but I really should have started them months ago! Happy Hanukah to those of you who have begun that celebration. And happy 21st birthday to Mini-me today!

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Christmas stations on Pandora including Indie Holidays, Classical Christmas and Christmas Radio (think Andy Williams, Bing Crosby...the oldies but goodies). In the car, I'm listening to Tahmima Anam's A Golden Age and loving it. The narrator is excellent. I've got it in paperback as well so I may end up reading along some.


Watching: The only thing I've really watched this week was "The Voice." Miss H's favorite, Cassadee Pope, is in the finals. Miss H has seen Cassedee  performing with her former band, Hey Monday, many times, getting to spend time with the band, so she feels like she's cheering for a friend.

Cassedee Pope

Reading: The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman for book club this week. After that I'm not sure what I'll grab next. I think I'll go to my review book shelf to try to knock off another one of those this year.

Making: Half a dozen fleece blankets for my great-nieces and -nephews. I'd thought to do a book for each of them but Miss H overruled me. I agreed on the condition she has to help. I'm sure the moms will like the blankets and I do like to find one thing I can give all of them which is no small feat when they range in age from 1 to almost 12.

Planning: Christmas dinner for Family Shepp for next Sunday. With six children and three vegetarians, I'm trying to have plenty of options. Fortunately everyone is willing to pitch in and help so I don't have to cook everything. Still, I need to get the house cleaned for guests and make sure we've got a plan for serving and eating.

Grateful for: Modern medicine - both of our moms have been having some health issues and I'm grateful to the doctors, the machines and the medications for helping them both to get through this.

Loving: My children. Friday's horrific shootings once again make me wonder how a parent carries on after losing a child. Mine are too old to snuggle into my lap and hug to my chest but I think they'll all understand that extra hug they get this weekend and the tears in my eyes.

Looking forward to: Frosting Christmas cookies with my family. This is something we've always done as a whole family. Some years, when the kids were young, this was less fun than others. But we've had enough fun over the years that the kids wouldn't dream of giving up this tradition. Even the tradition of Mini-me getting sent to time out on the steps because he can't stop laughing and Mini-him getting in trouble for egging him on.

What are you most looking forward to this holiday season?

7 comments:

  1. Have a good day and a good week ahead, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man the MAKING. I'm about DONE with making. (Not actually done, mentally done.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had our bake day yesterday and by the time it was all said and done we realized we hadn't made ONE cookie. All bars and other types of goodies. I'm a bit sad about that--though I admit that frosting cookies exhausts me. ;) Fleece blankets?! Like the ones that you tie? I love those. Happy birthday to Mini-Me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy Dovekeeper's once finished. You will understand my comment that it's easier to read than listen too... lot's of war/fighting scenes near the end of the book. I could have skimmed those. Still, I learned SO much from this book and once stories collide it's a strong novel.

    Not an easy read though.

    I'm conflicted on The Voice. I like the irish rocker but actually love the 3 left and don't care who wins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been listening to Christmas music just about every day, probably driving everyone around me crazy. :-)

    Even big kids need extra hugs sometimes.

    I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Enjoy your feast on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Sunday Salons. They make me happy.

    I love seeing the excitement and magic in my 3-year-old's eyes as we bake cookies, read holiday stories, trim the tree, put out our decorations, spend more time with family, and introducing him to family traditions new and old, and picking out presents for kids in need. I just love it!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's. I hope all in your family have a happy, safe, and healthy holiday. Good luck with your dinner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Almost ready here! I do need to start baking Christmas goodies. I also have to plan my menu for this weekend as my family will be coming on Saturday. I have two dinners planned but need lunches, breakfasts and a couple more dinners. Easy, filling, and warm are going to be my motto, I think.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete