Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me

This week the gals at The Broke and The Bookish have asked us to list the top ten books we wouldn't mind Santa bringing us. For me, this is purely an exercise in thinking which books I want to buy next since NO ONE in my family will buy me a book. Just because I could open a lending library of unread books doesn't mean I don't want new ones!

In no particular order, here's what I'd love to find in my stocking:

1. The Absolutist by John Boyne -this one was first brought to my attention by Ryan of Wordsmithonia.

2. The Whipping Club by Deborah Harry - Lisa at Bibliomaniac is the one who convinced me this one is a must read.


3. Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich - this one's been on my radar but Heather from Raging Bibliomania convinced me to read it when she called it "incredibly evocative."

4. Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver - Diane, of Bibliophile by the Sea, compared the writing in this one to Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. That's all it took for me to need it.

5. Lots of Cake, Plenty of Candles by Anna Quindlen - just because I liked her last book so much.

6. Middlemarch by George Eliot - because, really, it's just time to get to this one.

7. The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales by Maria Tatar - a girl can never have enough fairy tales!

8. Half The Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity by Women Worldwide by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn - I love to read books about women being empowered.

9. You Know When The Men Are Gone by Siobahn Fallon -well, my goodness, everyone loved it; what more do I need to say?


10. A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash - Santa's going to have to get me an ARC of this one since it doesn't come out for another month after Christmas. But when you compare the writing to Ron Rash and Tom Franklin, I know I need to read it.

What books would you like Santa to bring you this year?

11 comments:

  1. Great list - I can highly recommend Shadow Tag and The Round House by Edrich as well. Hope Santa remembers your list:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading the Wiley Cash now. Very very atmospheric! But I'm struggling to get through it not because it's bad but because I want to hide my eyes sometimes from the awful behavior of some of the characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost added Flight Behavior to my list, too. Shadow Tag was very good. Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake and You Know When the Men are Gone will both be among my favorites this year.

    My family rarely buys me books, but maybe Santa will see my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey you, the least I can do is send you the book, since it was my review that took you to that wanting phase! I will send it along if you send me your postal address. It might take a bit of time, as it's hard for me to brave the post office right now, but I will send it as a Christmas gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait. A Land More Kind Than Home is available at Audible. How is it not available in print yet?

    The rest of your list is very impressive. It will be interesting to see which ones you get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your list for Santa. And I don't understand why anyone thinks you have too many books?? We book lovers need to keep a current stash of books going at all times!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I was wondering if you want my copy of Half the Sky. I barely read the beginning and I'm pretty sure I won't be picking it up again - so its practically new. I saw the documentary on PBS and that gave me the info I needed about the book. Let me know. Just email me at:
    frogs13 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe that I haven't made a Christmas book list yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You Know When the Men Are Gone is excellent - good choice! I just picked up The Whipping Club last week - the reviews look good for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You must read Middlemarch! It's one of my favorite books of all time. I read it in college and have never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete