Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Mama Shepp's Family Recommends - Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeners

I never, ever thought I'd be saying this...this recommendation comes from Miss H! She loves Ellen DeGeneres so when she saw this one at Half-Price Books (she was there under protest) she told me she'd like to read it. Really? If I buy it for you, you'll read it? Done - it's yours.

Publisher's Summary (courtesy of the author)
I've experienced a whole lot the last few years and I have a lot to share. So I hope that you'll take a moment to sit back, relax and enjoy the words I've put together for you in this book. I think you'll find I've left no stone unturned, no door unopened, no window unbroken, no rug unvacuumed, no ivories untickled. What I'm saying is, let us begin, shall we?  

Why Miss H Would Recommend This Book: 
If you like Ellen, you'll like this collection of stories. Her voice, the "Ellen-ness" of her, comes through in every story. If you're Attention Deficit, you'll like it even more. There is no through thread here, just a random collection of stories and observations, many of them personal. And for those of you who are a little obsessive compulsive and cannot put a book down until you reach the end of a chapter, you're in luck. Most of the stories in Seriously...I'm Kidding are no more than a few pages long, some much shorter than that. All of which makes this book right up Miss H's alley. Here's a little of Ellen for you (from the chapter titled "Boredom," Ellen provides a list of things you might try):

1. Clean my house.
2. Look at your pets. If you look at them long enough, you can almost figure out what they're thinking. Usually it's "Why has she been looking at me for so long? She must be really bored." 
3. Cut up fruit.
4. Sext.
5. Make a smoothie.
6. Volunteer.
7. Volunteer opinions to strangers.
8. Hitchhike
9. Photograph geese.
10. Put on a blazer and pretend to be a docent at your local museum.
Did you notice what Ellen did there? Right in the middle of all of that nonsense, she dropped in a bit of seriousness. Which  pretty much sums up what DeGeneres has done throughout the book. If you're looking for something light and quick to read but which might make you think a little bit, this might be just the book for you.

1 comment:

  1. I long to have a few minutes for 'bored' but would probably nap or find myself going for a walk.

    I appreciate Ellen. She found a way to be herself and open up.

    ReplyDelete