Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Life: It Goes On - June 5


Saturday I wasn't so sure life would go on. Following a relatively routine surgical procedure, the antibiotics Mini-me was taking prior to surgery turned on him, wracking havoc with his body, causing him to become life-threateningly dehydrated. He could not give his birth date; in the emergency room they were almost entirely unable to find a vein to put i.v.'s in.

All of the times I have said "this is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me" put together do not come close to the terror I felt at the thought of losing one of my kids. Of all of the things I am, being a mom truly is the thing I am most proud of. How would I define myself without all of them? Four days later, Mini-me was finally released from the ICU. We still don't know when he will come home.

8 bags, 4 i.v. lines - scary stuff!
I will probably be away from the blog and commenting on other blogs for the rest of the week. Between work and hospital, I'm rarely at home. I'll use my Nook to keep up with blogs but I hate trying to leave comments on it.


Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Gods of Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. Just getting started but I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the narration.

Watching: That monitor on the left. I learned a lot about all of those numbers that show up and what they should be this weekend.

Reading: Under The Dome by Stephen King. Dang, King kicks the action off early and often in this one!

Making: Nothing. Thank heavens for my sister and a dear friend who have kept my family in meals the past few days.

Planning: Once again, we are living a fluid life with no plans.

Grateful for: Amazing technology and great medicines but mostly incredible, caring nurses.

Loving: Our wonderful support team of family and friends. It's times like these that remind me how very blessed we are.

Thinking: Life will go on but we will never again be the same after seeing how quickly everything can change.

Looking forward to: Bringing Mini-me home!

18 comments:

  1. I missed your regular Sunday post this week and now I know why you were unable to post. So sorry life has become rather difficult again and you had such a scare. Thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery and return home for Mini-me. Take care yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - it is so scary to watch someone in ICU - things change so rapidly which makes it stressful. The good news is that things also change for the better quickly and I am glad to see that happened with your son. Sending you both healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awful! Thinking of you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was keeping track of the mini-me events but I had no idea it was this serious. Very scary! Especially when he went in for something so routine. I am so glad he turned the corner and is doing better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, how scary!!! I'll be thinking of you and sending healing thoughts to your kidlet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued prayers and good thoughts heading your way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, Lisa. I've got tears in my eyes. I am so so so glad your son is doing better. I can't even imagine. I hope I never have to and that you never go through anything like that again.

    I am sending my good thoughts and prayers your way and wishing your son a smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry, Lisa. Sending positive thoughts your way for your son and all of your family. Hugs and loves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so completely frightening. I will pray for Mini-me to return home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I know the whole story. Wow! I know you had to be so scared. I agree with you. Being a mom is the thing that makes me most proud. It's something we just cannot fathom...losing one of them. I'm glad that he's stable now. Sending lots of positive thoughts and hugs your way. I hope he continues to improve and gets out of the hospital soon.

    Under the Dome is off the hook! Glad you're enjoying it.

    Hang in there, girl. I'm always around if you need an ear. Just shout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...how scary. I hope Min Me is home soon. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending prayers and warm thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending prayers and good wishes for a speedy recovery, for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly can't imagine what you have gone through. I am so thankful for the world in which we live, with the technology, medical knowledge, and skilled nursing that keeps our loved ones with us.

    Take care and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have been cheering you all on from FB but wanted to stop by here as well and wish for continued progress and good health! Under the Dome should give you a wonderful 'must-read' escape when you are ready for such. hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad that he was released from ICU!!!! Thanks for the updates on FB!!!!! I couldn't imagine how scared you and your husband were during this whole time!!! Thinking of you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry Lisa. I've been away from reading blogs a lot and didn't realize your son was ill. I'll be keeping him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes!! So glad to have read this after he went home. THis is so scary.

    ReplyDelete