Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
Published February 2013 by St. Martin's Press
Source: bought this one for my Nook to read with the Omaha Bookworms

Publisher's Summary:
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love—and just how hard it pulled you under.

My Thoughts:
I really liked Rowell's Attachments and Rowell herself is just adorable, plus you all told me this book was great and still I was surprised by how much I loved this book.

Eleanor and Park are unique in literature but not as much in real life. We've all known the girl who dressed in a way that made other kids stare, the boy who isn't one of the in-group but respected enough that they leave him alone. The relationship between the two develops in a way that is natural and real, happening slowly and complicated by problems that are both universal and distinctly their own.
"There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes me want to let him open doors for me..."
"But he kept finding new pockets of shallow inside himself. He kept finding new ways to betray her." 
If you follow Rainbow Rowell on Twitter or are "friends" with her on Facebook, you'll know that she often writes in Starbucks where she can listen in on conversations and frequently asks for help from her readers coming up with just the right word to use. It shows in her writing with dialogue that is amazingly true to life, a style that makes every word count, and a voice that is purely her own.
"Don't bite his face, Eleanor told herself. It's disturbing and needy and never happens in situation comedies or movies that end with big kisses..."
"...the backseat was an Erica Jong novel just waiting to happen."
Rainbow Rowell
Some of people have tried to ban Rowell's book, citing a fair amount of f-bombs and some sex. Truly, there's not much sex and it is a book about teenagers, after all. And that cursing? I suppose it says something about my family that I really didn't notice it. Others in my book club did have an issue with it and it's worth noting that it's there. But please don't skip over this book because of it.

I rarely reread books; I keep very few of them once I've read them. Eleanor and Park will be a reread...maybe even this year. It is funny and sad and frightening and hopeful and, dare I use that incredibly overused word, poignant. And it has writing like this:
"She didn't know there were things worse than selfish." 


18 comments:

  1. I REALLY need to read this one...
    (Love your new header photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear that last sentence......

    ReplyDelete
  3. It deserves to be re-read doesn't it? Sigh, so good. I get a lump in my throat just thinking about how lovely this book is. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love listening to people's conversations to hear how they talk! But of course, I can't write like Rainbow Rowell, so I guess you could just call me nosey! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed the audio version of this one. Glad you got a chance to read it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you loved this book! I'm wishing I had bought it in hard copy instead of ecopy, so I can put it on my shelves with my favorite reads. I don't follow Rowell on twitter, but plan to now. I can't believe that some people tried to ban her book - that is just crazy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been loving Rainbow Rowell's books. I will be rereading them as well. The writing is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours is the first review to actually make me think about reading this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this too! It was such a charm to read and Eleanor and Park make a wonderful couple!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear it's amazing! I'll have to make sure I get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard such great things about this book and author. This book is on my wish list. I am glad you enjoyed it, Lisa.

    I don't often notice the cursing in novels unless it is excessive. And excessive to me is not excessive to the more conservative reader. I grew up with a dad who used the "f" word just about every other word (without realizing it since it had become such a habit for him). So, cursing isn't something that bothers me as much as maybe it should. (It should be noted that I'm not a big curser--in case you are wondering.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! I've heard good things about this book and now I think I'm going to have to go find it. I love that last sentence. I don't mind language or sex if they fit the story and in this case it definitely sounds like it does.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, you just confirmed that I really need to get to this one this year. (Do people really get upset about cursing? Wow. Tells you how jaded I am!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe I will read that Erica Jong book I have o the shelf first.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dear, this was going to be banned too? Forget the subject, focus on the swearing...

    I liked the uniqueness of the writing a lot, and it is, as you say, very realistic. Interesting to hear how she writes her books, I suppose it would indeed make for more realism.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love the quotes you chose. Charming. Intriguing. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the new blog look!

    I also loved this book. It was sweet first love. . . just so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's on my list. I have never read anything by this author either. I think it says a lot that you might even reread it THIS year. BTW, the blog looks fab. Love the new layout.

    ReplyDelete