Sunday, January 10, 2016

Life: It Goes On - January 10

How are you all surviving this crazy winter weather we're having the past couple of weeks? We've had such a good winter (and by "good" I mean not wintery at all!) but suddenly we're battling subzero temps. Blankets in the car, hat/scarves/mittens every time you walk outside, frostbite in minutes cold weather. I'm not a fan. On the plus side, the roads and sidewalks are, for the most part, dry so getting around is not tough. As part of my "happier" year, I'm really trying to make myself look on the plus side more often.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: Podcasts, podcasts, and more podcasts. Turns out that having so many podcast episodes hanging out there that "needed" to be listened to stressed me out a little every time I opened my podcasts. So, in addition to listening to a lot of them the past couple of weeks, I've deleted a lot of older episodes or episodes that didn't sound like they'd be of interest. I am really sad that Nerdette has not had a new podcast in months!
Kelsey Robinson, Kayla Banworth, and Jordan
Larson-Burbach - Nebraska alumni

Watching: The new season of "Downtown Abbey," as much football as I can find, and the USA women's volleyball team winning three matches this weekend to lock down their 2016 Olympic ticket. Three former Husker volleyball players are on the team so we love being able to watch them doing so well.

Reading: I finished Caitlin Moran's How To Be A Woman (strident review this week) and started Melanie Benjamin's Swans of Fifth Avenue which I'm hoping to finish today. They were perfect foils for each other! Next up is A Man Called Ove for bookclub.

Making: I worked longer hours this week so The Big Guy did most of the week day cooking (love that he does this!). This weekend I've made beef stroganoff, beef enchiladas, fajitas, steel cut oats with orange-flavored cranberries and golden raisins, and rice pudding.

Planning: Diving into my closet for the semi-annual sorting, tossing, and reorganizing. This is one chore I really enjoy doing.

Grateful for: Road crews that have kept the roads in great shape despite all of the snow and wet stuff we've had lately.

Enjoying: A new haircut.

M's Pub at the heart of Omaha's Old Market
Feeling: Heartsick - on of Omaha's landmark buildings burned yesterday. It sits in our Old Market district which is one of the go-to places and housed one of our favorite restaurants.

Looking forward to: A more normal week. Regular working hours, nothing on the agenda, time to read and cook and put my house back in order.


9 comments:

  1. It sounds like winter has finally made her presence known in your part of the country. I don't envy you those cold temperatures at all. I am so behind with Downton Abbey. I can't even remember where I left off. I am sad to say I haven't really missed the show-although I know I was enjoying it while watching it. I need a haircut, but I keep putting it off. I should have asked my mother-in-law to do it while she was here last month when she offered, but I wasn't happy with the way she cut my daughter's hair and decided it best just to decline politely.

    I am sorry to hear about the fire. How awful!

    I hope this week will be a good one for you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about the fire at your favored restaurant. And you can certainly see that the weather was quite, quite cold. Wow. Hope your week is a good one, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a normal week! That is certainly welcome. A Man Called Ove is awesome - I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your positivity in this post. Omahan also feeling the loss of M's Pub here. Keep your head up and enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some excellent memories in M's Pub. Hope they can bring back that building and make it even more cool? They just gotta! So sad. The ice photos are scarily pretty. My inlaws called to tell me of this but of course, it is all over my Facebook with as many friends as I still have in Omaha. (I think they really don't "get" the internet still.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Again, killing me with the cooking. I made some stuff but I hate to cook during the week when we are all rushing around. Tonight, I may grill up some ham steaks and make some scalloped potatoes with sweet peas but the girl decided she needs to get ready for track season so she is off to the track with a friend and probably won't want to eat this dinner since she is a little particular about her training food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanna see your new haircut! I'm gettin' my hair did Friday. I cannot stand it. I'm glad you are well and safe in your subzero temps. Sorry about the fire. I hope no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and we just started watchin' Downton too! But we catch up on the weekend. 9 p.m. is too late for us, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fb page was full of photos from the fire, such sad news.

    Working from home, my days are full of podcasts! While living in Omaha I streamed MN talk radio, now my shows are available in podcast format. I also have several subscriptions that I keep but am not interested in every guest.

    Enjoy cleaning out your closets!

    ReplyDelete