Sunday, February 21, 2016

Life: It Goes On - February 21

I was half tempted to break out a springish Life picture for today given the weather we've had the past week. Three days in a row in the upper sixties, sunny - easy to think that we won't see any more snow this year. But we live in Nebraska so we know this is just a reward for surviving this far and that winter will be back.

In the meantime, we are loving sitting out on patios and decks, leaving doors open, and only needing light jackets outside!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I finished Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day on Friday. I sat in a carwash line in no small part just to have an excuse to be in the car long enough to finish it. Adored it! I think I'll be starting Adriana Trigiani's The Shoemaker's Wife on Monday but I may change my mind and go with something that's completely different from what I've been reading.

Watching: A friend and I went to see "Brooklyn" the other day. We both really liked it a lot and agreed that Saoirse Ronan deserved her Oscar nom. In many ways I enjoyed it more than the book, although there is a lot that might have been done to show how overwhelmed Eilis was when she got to Brooklyn and the part where she returned to Ireland might have been longer to better explain why she did what she did.

Reading: Finished My Name Is Lucy Barton (so spare and yet so emotional) and will finish Thirty-Eight Witnesses today (it's crazy short). Next up? I'm not sure exactly but I'm leaning toward The Year of Reading Dangerously or Mennonite In A Little Black Dress, both my own damn books and both nonfiction which I'm yearning to read more of this year.

Making: Tacos, tuna salad sandwiches, ravioli casserole, bean enchiladas and chicken nachos - nothing that required much effort. Yesterday I did make lemon bars to take to a friends and today I'm getting ready to throw a turkey in the oven. Because, apparently, it should be used during February according to BG.

Planning: Nothing on the calendar again this week which means that I'll have time to work more on the 40 Bags In 40 Days project which I'm woefully behind on. Between my freezers and fridge I threw three grocery bags of stuff away this weekend - I was happy to be getting rid of stuff we couldn't use but a little horrified to have let that much food go to waste.

Grateful for: Some time with Mini-me today, just BG and I. Love having all of the kids around together but we don't get to see Mini-me that often and it's fun to have his whole focus to ourselves! 

Enjoying: Nice wine, great friends and gorgeous weather! Did you all take advantage of National Drink Wine Day as an excuse to pop open a bottle?

Feeling: Energized to lighten the load - look out family, I'm coming to your room next with bags and a desire to purge and cull!

Looking forward to: Having Mini-him back tomorrow from Colorado and hearing about his adventures. He's been gone several days and one of the things he's done is to go to the Stanley Hotel (made famous by Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of Stephen King's The Shining).

Question of the Week: What is your favorite book-to-movie adaptation?


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's been spring like weather all around. My Name Is Lucy Barton is on my wish list. It sounds so good! I miss having quality time with just my husband. We had some of that when he was out of work. Now that he's working again though . . . I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find quality time with the hubby when there are kids in the picture and you're tired from working all day and there are things that have to be done...Sometimes it's all we can do even now to find time for a quick kiss in the morning and before bed!

      Delete
  2. I've seen the Stanley Hotel. After I had read The Shining. I kept trying to explain to my husband why it was so creepy to me. Just looked like a nice place to him. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini-him and his friend when inside but since it's still a working hotel you can't really do much in it. I'd be much too creeped out to stay in it!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...favorite book-to-move adaptation? I say Pride & Prejudice, the one starring Keira Knightley although I had watched it first and then slugged through the actual book. I wish we had your wet/cold weather as it looks like El Nino is ending and El Nina will bring more drought. Do flash a pic of your taco salad sandwiches. I'm curious to see what they look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love Pride and Prejudice - both the book and that adaptation. Purists complain about some parts of the movie but I'm okay with the changes because that scene at the end just does me in every time!

      Delete
  4. I'm sure you've been making the most of the good weather. Here we've had some sunshine again, but it's very cold. I can't decide whether to read Brooklyn before getting the DVD, which should be available in the UK soon. Favourite book-to-movie adaptation? If you'd asked about one of my favourite movie directors/scriptwriters I might have said David Lean. His adaptations of novels such as Great Expectations, Dr. Zhivago onto the big screen impacted us in the days when cinema going was our main entertainment. I suppose that continues for others today, but we rarely go to the cinema these days. (There have been excellent television adaptations of novels. At the moment we have a Russian Season on BBC with a new version of War and Peace. I haven't seen it yet. If I did I might want to compare it with the movie version with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda and perhaps be disappointed, but it makes me want to go back and read some Russian classics).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, David Lean movies are so, so good! How is it that I have never watched Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda in War and Peace?? I need to find that and watch it soon!

      Delete
  5. You sit outside on the patio in the mid 60s? That is freezing for us here. Nope. We have had 85 degrees all week long. It's been lovely but I dread and that is Dread with a capital D, what summer is going to be like here if this rain does not pan out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, heck yes! In the sun, light jacket maybe? After temps below freezing, that it like heaven! Of course, we've got young men that wear shorts here almost all winter so you can imagine what they're like when the temps hit the 60's!

      Delete