Sunday, May 1, 2016

Life: It Goes On - May 1

Happy May Day! After all of these years of not doing it, it still seems strange not to be putting together May baskets for the kids to deliver to friends, neighbors and classmates.

May here is coming in exactly as April left us - wet, wet, wet. I'm so ready for some sunshine! We had box seats at a baseball game today but, sadly, it was rained out.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: We've been back at the gym this week so I've been listening to more podcasts, several episodes of NPR Books and two episodes of Nerdette. I finally set up my own Pandora account so I've been listening to a lot of different music as I've done that: Alison Krauss, The Avett Brothers, Brandi Carlisle, Chevelle, Florence + The Machine, Incubus, musicals, Nina Simone. I've been all over the place!

Watching: Miss H introduced me to The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I finally caught "Love Actually," and we're catching up on BBC's "Luther." Love me some Idris Elba!

Reading: On audio, I'm listening to The Absolutist by John Boyne. So good and so well narrated! In print, I finished When The Moon Is Low and Why We Write About Ourselves yesterday. Today I'm starting Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman and my new nightstand book is The Year of Reading Dangerously by Andy Miller.

Making: Chili (it's been that chilly lately - ya' see what I did there?!) and cinnamon rolls yesterday and today I'm making a breakfast souffle and french toast for brunch.

courtesy of the MeanStreetsOmaha
Twitter account
Planning: It's all about the graduation party and our upcoming house guest. Since Miss S's mom will be staying in Mini-him's room while she's here, Mini-him will need to stay in my office for several days. That meant I finally had to buckle down an get that room cleaned up. I found my bookshelves again!

Thinking About: How lucky Omaha was the other day. The weather became unexpectedly severe and a couple of tornadoes touched down (one not too far from my office). Minor damage, no injuries but impressive footage. Got home to find we'd gotten a fair amount of pea-sized hail but looks like all of our plants survived that.

Enjoying: Brunch today with Miss S and Mini-me. Miss S has been in Fort Worth for four months for a school rotation and we are so glad to have her back!

Feeling: Productive. I could have spent the afternoon reading since I wasn't planning on doing anything around the house but, instead, I've been deep cleaning the kitchen. No one else may notice that the cupboards look cleaner, but I do!

Looking forward to: Mini-me's graduation on Friday!

Question of the week:  With a party just around the corner, I'm using that as an excuse to get some projects done around the house that we've been putting off. Is it just us or do you do that, too? 


4 comments:

  1. Guests always gets me moving, doing jobs I had been putting off. Why don't we do it just for ourselves?

    I miss May Day with kids, too. There are some things (Halloween, for one) that I'm glad to be done with, but I enjoyed May Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about Halloween! So much work, especially when you had to put the kids in their costumes then come home, race to feed them and then get them back in the costumes and off to trick or treat. I'm really not a fan of handing out the candy, either. I fear I'm turning into a grumpy old woman!

      Delete
  2. Procrastination tends to reign here and when company is coming over, we clean the day before. Wow; graduation already? School must start really early in August then? Chili always sounds good. I've been bugging the husband to get another, smaller fridge for the garage so I can make him, me, and the girls pots of lunch for the week. I've been craving quinoa chili.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universities here all end early May; the public schools will go to the end of May. There's no way I could get everything done if I started the day before, what with cleaning, grocery shopping, wine shopping, more cleaning, food prep, getting tables and chairs organized, etc. But I've always been one to plan ahead and I'm utterly reliant on my lists and plans. I suppose if I did everything the day before I'd get used to that.

      Delete