Wednesday, July 13, 2016

2016 Big Book Summer Challenge


It's that time again, time for Sue's (of Book by Book) Big Book Summer Challenge. I'm late to the party (what a surprise, right?); the challenge started Memorial Day. But it runs through Labor Day so there's still time to knock out a chunkster. I'm looking to finally read Charles Dickens' Little Dorrit, which has been on my bookshelf ever since I saw the Masterpiece Theater adaptation. It weighs in at over 800 pages so that will likely be the only big book I get through all summer with this late start.


It's not too late for you to join, too. Here are the "rules:"

  • Anything over 400 pages qualifies as a big book. The challenge will run from Memorial Day weekend (starting May 27 this year) through Labor Day weekend (Labor Day is September 5 this year). Choose one or two or however many big books you want as your goal. Wait, did you get that? You only need to read 1 book with over 400 pages this summer to participate! (though you are welcome to read more, if you want).
  • Choose from what's on your shelves already or a big book you've been meaning to read for ages or anything that catches your eye in the library - whatever peaks your interest!
  • Write a post to kick things off - you can list the exact big books you plan to read or just publish your intent to participate, but be sure to include the Big Book Summer Challenge pic above, with a link back to this blog.
  • Write a post to wrap up at the end, listing the big books you read during the summer.
  • You can write progress posts if you want to and/or reviews of the big books you've read...but you don't have to! There is a separate links list below for big book review posts.
Are you looking to knock of any big books this summer?

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know about this challenge, but I've already read several big books since Memorial Day. It sounds like fun, so maybe I'll sign up....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined this challenge too, but have only read one qualifying book so far. I loved Little Dorrit, which I read for the first time fairly recently. It is now among my favorite Dickens novels. Hope you enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete