Sunday, July 17, 2016

Life: It Goes On - July 17

My summer schedule's been less crazy this year than it is some years but it seems to be filling up all of a sudden. This weekend's been overflowing with things we could/should/been invited to do. We've had things going on every night since Thursday with plans through Wednesday and have even had to turn down invites. What's an introvert to do with all of this social interaction?! I'm thinking by Thursday, I may shut myself in my room for the night!


My calendar for the fall is filling up fast, too, but that's with book reviews. Remember how at the beginning of the year I was going to free-range read, #readmyowndamnbooks? Yeah, that's not really working out quite the way I planned. Some of the scheduled reviews are actually pushing me to read books that I already do have on my shelves (real and digital) so, I suppose, it's not all bad. But when Ann Patchett, Jaqueline Woodson, and Colson Whitehead all have new books, I can't say no.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I haven't been able to make myself listen to Billy Lynn's Long Half Time Walk much this past week. I'm thinking it may be one of my rare DNF's which is disappointing because I really feel like it's something I should listen to/read. But it's not keeping my attention and right now there's so much going on in the world that I feel I'm better served listening to the radio and keeping up with the world.

Watching: We haven't really watched much t.v. in the past few days. The Big Guy watches American Ninja Warrior but nothing much else has caught either of our attention. Which is not a bad thing, right?

Reading: You'd think that would mean I've been reading a lot lately, wouldn't you? Not so much. I'm pretty sure I've got too many books started and I'm having a hard time getting involved in any of them. I have to concentrate the next couple of days on finishing up Salvage The Bones for book club this week which I am enjoying and I'm just about finished with The Year of Reading Dangerously.

Making: More pizza loaded with farmer's market goodies and several meals using a pork tenderloin BG had grilled (including a killer pork/grilled cheese sandwich). We haven't had to cook the past three nights which has been a nice break.

Planning: Dinner for tonight - BG's brother and sister-in-law will be here to spend the night and she eats gluten-free so we'll work around that. Grilling will be involved, I'm sure. Now what to have for dessert that doesn't involve flour? There's always ice cream but I'd like to be a little more creative.

Thinking About: A community awareness/action meeting this week. This will be way out of my comfort zone but it's time to get involved in my community again.

Enjoying: Time with family and friends. Thursday was my company's annual picnic/baseball game and I got the whole crew to go. Cherishing my family time before Mini-me moves to Milwaukee. Friday night we had dinner with friends and last night was dinner with two of BG's siblings and their spouses. So much happiness!

Feeling: Tired. See note regarding being an introvert. No matter how much I love what I've been doing, there's not been a lot of time to recharge in the way an introvert needs to recharge.

Looking forward to: Book club this week.

Question of the week: Are you an introvert or an extrovert? What's your go-to way to recharge your battery?


6 comments:

  1. I'm not good with lots of social things one after the other. While I enjoy it while it's happening if I don't get some quiet time in I end up getting sick. Hopefully you'll be able to get some solitude soon! That grilled pork/grilled cheese sounds amazing! I may have to make something like that soon. I'm curious about The Year of Reading Dangerously. Love the title. It is funny how our good intentions about not reading so many required books falls apart but it really isn't to be helped when so many great authors have new books! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much activity... as a fellow introvert, I feel your pain. Will be curious to hear how your group reacts to Salvage the Bones... it may be outside of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your homemade pizzas sound delicious. I tried to make pizza dough once and was a failure at it; one of these days I'll try again. I say I'm a bit of both. I can be very social when in a group setting at a party or at dinner w/family. Knitting has been a solitary activity of mine and I don't mind really. I do like peace and quiet especially during the school year when I'm run by the girls' schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salvage the Bones is on my TBR list. I loved Jesmyn Ward's Men We Reaped-devastating but such an important book. And the writing is beautiful.

    Take care of yourself! We introverts have to recharge our batteries with solitude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late on commenting but grilled peaches and honey make an excellent dessert when topped with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you on the introverting. I think that is why I am enjoying my quiet summer so much and am so loathe to schedule anything. I know that come fall, hiding in the house will no longer be an option. I hope you are able to get some much-needed time to recharge!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete