Sunday, February 26, 2017

Life: It Goes On - February 26

Hmmm. I didn't even realize until yesterday that I had neglected to post anything all week. When you have reading ADD, you don't have books to review. Which will give you a good idea of how I'm doing on my February resolution to do a better job with focus.

A week of springlike temperatures had me ready to put away my snowman collection this week. Day after day of record high temperatures in the 70's, though, was ended when we had a thunderstorm Thursday evening that included sleet that turned to snow. No more dinners on the patio for a while again.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I finished Mr. Rosenblum Dreams In English on Friday. I had to stay in the car in the garage for about ten minutes when I got home just to wrap it up, which, for some strange reason, The Big Guy thought was odd. Monday I'll start Lorrie Moore's A Gate At The Stairs, something I'll be able to read as a read/listen combination if I want to do that.

Watching: The high school state swim meet, Bill Maher (while Maher is unabashedly liberal, he is also quick to slap the liberals and the media upside the head; you just have to be able to handle all of the cursing), a couple more episodes of The Crown and a couple of episodes of Big Little Lies (so far, I think they are doing a very good job of staying true to the book). Also, I'm a little embarrassed to say how many times a day I've been checking in on April the giraffe to see if she's had her baby.

Reading: Dust Bowl Girls (although for some reason Bluefire Reader has suddenly decided that it needs to shut down every time I try to read it) and The Girl In The Garden. Hoping to finish both of them in the next few days.

Making: We baked a ham on Sunday. There are only three of us living in this house. Can I just say that I am really tired of finding different ways to use ham? My favorite was actually a hash I made using tator tots and Swiss cheese.

Planning: For the 2017 40 Bags In 40 Days event. I've got my 40 areas planned and forewarned the other two in the house that they will be helping out this year. I'm giving up clutter for Lent!

Thinking About: Everything I need to get done before the wedding. I can't believe it's just 4 months away!

Enjoying: Creighton basketball with BG (free tickets get me out of the house on a weeknight), book club Tuesday night, lunch with a three hour lunch with an old friend, and today dinner at our house for one of the young women that used to spend most of her free time at my house. She brought her kids and fiancé - so interesting to see her in such a different point in her life than Mini-him is at!


Feeling: Calmer. I'm still angry a lot of the time but I'm learning how to channel that anger productively and to put it away when it's time to think about other things.

Looking forward to: My friend's annual Oscar party tonight. Always a fun show to watch with other people who make me laugh, like to get catty about the dresses, and enjoy cocktails and yummy eats.

Question of the week: There are bound to be political statements made tonight by some of the winners. How do you feel about them using this forum to voice their opinions to the world?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots going on in your life. Your ham and tater tots and swiss cheese sounds good. Yum.

    Enjoy your Oscar party! Bet that would be fun with a bunch of others. As to the political statements, well, the Oscars have always been used for things like that. I remember when someone 'streaked' across the stage and David Niven made some kind of funny comment. And I also remember when a Native American woman (can't think what her name was) picked up the Oscar for Marlon Brando. I think the anticipation of 'whatever' is part of the 'fun' of the event. So, why not? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of giving up clutter for Lent - I'm going to steal your idea and do it as well ;) I stay in my car just to finish a song if I really love it, so I'm sure I would do the same if I was listening to a book. My sis and I bought champagne for tonight - we love watching the Oscars and the red carpet to see what they are all wearing. I'm sure it will be political and can't wait to hear what they have to say. Your party with friends sounds like such fun :) Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ham though I can see where it could get old after awhile! We really only have it once a year and there's about a dozen people eating it and then we get just enough leftovers! Glad that you're in better spirits even if your focusing isn't going wonderfully. It's all a learning experience though so if it doesn't work out you're learning what doesn't work for you which is almost as important. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been watching a lot of Bill Maher lately too because he is so quick to criticize both sides when they are at fault. Samantha Bee's Full Frontal is another one that is just killing it lately.

    No Oscars for me; since I haven't seen a single one of the movies, I had no interest in watching the show. I hope you had fun with your friends though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about them Oscars? That Best Picture gaffaw was something....

    I think they have a right to do it, but I'm not sure if it's the best way to unite anybody. But I'm just not sure right now.

    Good luck with your spring cleaning and giving up clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A ham. Now there's an idea. I need stuff I can cook once and eat all week. That sounds good.

    The Oscars. I enjoyed it very much. I guess the flub at the end wasn't at huge as it felt when it happened but still.

    ReplyDelete