Friday, December 21, 2018

A Month of Faves On The Screen


Today's prompt asks us to talk about what we watched this year that we loved and if any of the movies we watched were based on books. That made me wonder if I'm the only person who watches movie previews in the theater and tells the people you're with which upcoming movies are based on books. Anyone? Just me? Ok, so some of these movies may overlap but I'm going to run a separate list of movies I watched that were based on books.

Movies I Loved:

  1. Won't You Be My Neighbor - about Fred "Mr." Rogers. As soon as we got home, my husband bought a "Mr. Rogers For President" t-shirt, he loved this movie so much.
  2. Phantom Thread starring Daniel Day Lewis - so, so slow and odd but also so beautiful and it has really stayed with me.
  3. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - a wonderful adaptation of the book by the same name. 
  4. Anna Karenina starring Keira Knightly - utterly unique adaptation that is another movie that has stayed with me long after I watched it. 
  5. Mission Impossible: Fallout starring Tom Cruise and Henry Cavill - not at all the kind of movie that I usually enjoy but Henry Cavill.
  6. The Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman, Michelle Williams, and Zac Efron - I enjoyed this one the first time I saw it but I liked it even more the second time. 
  7. First Man starring Ryan Gosling - Gosling is so good in this one!
  8. Bohemian Rhapsody - sure it's emotionally manipulative but there's so much to love about it and, of course, there's the music. 
  9. Mary Poppins Returns starring Emily Blount and Lin-Manuel Miranda - Blount is great as Mary Poppins, the story echoes the original, and there are some fun surprises.
  10. Black Panther - great action, great message. 



Movies I Watched Based On Books:

  1. The Zookeeper's Wife starring Jessica Chastain based on the book by the same name by Diane Ackerman - I haven't read the book but I really enjoyed this movie set during World War II; it has the tension Suite Francaise  lacked and I loved the story. 
  2. Brain On Fire based on the book by the same name by Susanna Catalan - what a sadly disappointing adaptation of an incredible true story. 
  3. Suite Française starring Michelle Williams based on the book by the same name by Irene Nemirovsky - too cleaned up, too little tension although beautifully filmed. 
  4. Madame Bovary starring Mia Wasikowski based on the book by Gustave Flaubert - beautifully filmed, beautiful costumes but my gosh how I dislike this character which makes liking this movie impossible. 
  5. The Phantom of the Opera starring Gerard Butler based on the book by Gaston Leroux - of course the music is fantastic, the sets amazing, and many of the performances wonderful but this one always falls just a big short for me. 
  6. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society based on the book by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  7. Anna Karenina starring Keira Knightley based on the book by Leo Tolstoy
  8. Mudbound based on the book by Hillary Jordan 
  9. Mary Poppins Returns based on the books by P. L. Travers
What movies did you love this year? How many of them were based on books?


1 comment:

  1. Phantom Thread was sooooo disturbing. It was good but oh man. I could not watch it again. I've read the Guernsey book why have I not seen the movie yet?! And so many I still need to see. Bohemian Rhapsody, First Man. I saw the Madam Bovary movie too and it was awful. Such an unlikable character.

    ReplyDelete