Merriam Webster has these definitions for “enough:”
- occurring in such quantity, quality, or scope as to fully meet demands, needs, or expectations.
- in or to a degree or quantity that satisfies or that is sufficient or necessary for satisfaction; fully, quite; in a tolerable degree.
- a sufficient number, quantity, or amount.
Oxford Dictionary also includes:
Used to indicate that one is unwilling to tolerate any more of something undesirable.
I chose the word “enough” to:
- Remind myself at meals to stop eating when I’ve had enough, to drink enough water, to get enough sleep, to work out enough,
- Say “no” when I’ve done enough already or have enough to do already,
- Remind myself to make enough time for the things that are important and the people I care about,
- Be happy with what I have
- Remind myself that I am enough. As Stuart Smalley used to say, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.” I was a joke when they did the skit on SNL all of those years ago but it really is something we all need to remember. I really am smart enough, skilled enough, talented enough, creative enough to take on anything I choose and strong enough to bear anything that life throws at me.
Going forward, the goal is to really work, each month, on new ways to implement this word into my life and to be mindful of it every day.