Sunday, July 12, 2020

Life: It Goes On - July 12

Happy Sunday! It's a very happy Sunday at my house. Mini-me and Ms. S are here! Even though we can't hug them and have to try to stay six feet apart from each other, after six months, it's so good to have them here. We spent six hours sitting on the patio last night, talking and laughing and life felt almost normal (albeit with a lot of hand sanitizing and Lysol). Today will be largely the same and it's the best medicine for a pandemic (well, next to a cure or vaccine!). 

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: I finished Brit Bennet's The Vanishing Half and this weekend I'm finishing up Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow. Ms. S happens to be reading The New Jim Crow so we're having a great time talking about it. 

Watched: We finally got back to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel this weekend. We're watching Season 3 and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. 

Read: I started Geraldine Brooks' Year of Wonders, after a friend was appalled that I had never read it. A book about the Black Plague sort of seems like rubbing salt in a wound right now but it's so good.

What the pie should
look like - we'll see!
Made:
 Mini-me surprised me this week by telling me that he's given up dairy products. It has meant a change in food plans for the weekend. He's always loved caprese salad so I tried substituting tofu for the mozzarella and he proclaimed that a success. Today we'll be making a vegan chocolate pecan pie; the friend who gave me the recipe raves about it. 

Enjoyed: See above - there's nothing I enjoy more than time with my kids. I only wish Mini-him had been able to be with us. 

This Week I’m:  

Planning: After this weekend, it's all about planning for Miss H's move. She laughed at me when I did a scale drawing and cut out scale "furniture." But now we know what fits, what doesn't fit and what we need to get. This is the part of moving I love!

Thinking About: My next project once I finish the shelves I'm working on for Miss H. You know I always need to be working on a project!

Feeling: Blessed. 

Looking forward to: Nothing much this week. It'll be a quiet week, mostly involving getting Miss H packed and ready to move. 

Question of the week: What activity do you most miss this summer?

5 comments:

  1. I have never read anything by Geraldine Brooks though I have read and loved pretty much all the books by her late husband, Tony Horwitz. The scale models is definitely the way to go when moving. Makes for far fewer surprises. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vanishing Half is on my reading list.

    I thought season 3 of Mrs Maisel weak compared to the first 2 seasons, and I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending.

    Speaking of endings, I loved Year of Wonders until the very end, and then I think the author got on a runaway train that went screaming off a cliff. I will be interested in hearing how you liked it.

    So glad you got to visit with your kids - the worst thing about the pandemic for us is not seeing our son in NYC and our daughter in CA. Thank goodness our other daughter lives 10 min away. But, weekly phone calls just aren't the same as just hanging out together, sharing our lives and enjoying each others' company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Year of Wonders is such a good book, although I have a vague memory of being a bit perplexed by the ending. It has been a long time since I read it though.

    I need to get back to Mrs Maisel. I am at the beginning of the second season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am missing our casual beach trips. The beaches have reopened for a bit but there are too many people around. I don't enjoy it when I am feeling tense over spacing and the like. When we get there we distance and then someone will sit right by us. Happens every time.

    I am just feeling very antsy and on edge. Hoping my son's work doesn't get shut down. He just got that job and is now living there so no work will be a problem.

    School? Starts on 8/11 and no word yet on how it will be handled. We voted but the teachers are fighting the hybrid model. I just want to lose this sense of dread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about to finish The Mothers by Brit Bennett and I hope to get to the Vanishing Half later this summer when my library gets it to me. Glad you are enjoying some much-needed family time. So important right now.

    I'll admit I did not care for season three of Marvellous Mrs. Maisel. They're not letting her grow as a person and it's a bit infuriating.

    I miss camping. We may try to get one in late summer but with our numbers rising and the fears and precautions that come with those we are not camping like we used to or vacationing at all. We usually visit my friend and her family in Washington every summer and that's been cancelled. Just getting out and enjoying the freedom summer brings has been hard to do. But it looks promising for a vaccine within the next 9 ish months or less, hopefully. So I keep looking forward to next summer! I hope you enjoy your week and weekend!

    ReplyDelete