Sunday, December 7, 2014

Life: It Goes On - December 7


It turned out, this week, that all I really needed to put me into the mood for the holidays was a quart of eggnog and some Handel's Messiah. The house is now decorated (although, as usual, it took longer than it should have) and I even watched "It's A Wonderful Life" last night. Now to start some Christmas baking!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I've been catching up on podcasts this week, listening to some really interesting stuff. On Radio Lab I listened to an episode about autism that was incredibly thought provoking. I haven't had a chance to pick up new books yet (and won't again this week) so it will more of the same for the coming week.

Watching: The lady Huskers in the NCAA women's volleyball tournament this weekend. Tonight I've discovered all of the Christmas shows on Netflix so I'm watching "White Christmas" while the Big Guy is preoccupied. I foresee a Christmas movie being watched on a regular basis in the coming weeks!

Reading: I finally finished The Secret History by Donna Tartt and my review will post Tuesday. Let's just say, it won't be glowing. Following on the heels of Jane Austen's First Love, I've picked up Charlie Lovett's First Impressions: A Novel of Old Books, Unexpected Love, and Jane Austen.

Making: Fire-roasted tomato soup, a hamburger casserole I think my mom invented to make cooking while camping easier, potato soup, and sourdough grilled cheese sandwiches. Nothing fancy for us this week.

Planning: Now that the Christmas decorations are up, it's time to get back to my "office" and get it finished up. There are some things that still need to be brought in and then it needs to be better organized.

Grateful for: Jeans days on Fridays - my company just announced that we'll be having them all of the time from now on. This makes me ridiculously happy.
You know it's cold when you need
so many extra blankets!

Enjoying: Afternoon with Miss H yesterday. She made BG, Mini-him, and me lunch yesterday then we worked to rearrange her room. When she moved in, the guys had an idea for the room arrangement that just did not work. We got furniture moved, her Christmas tree up, and curtains hung. It's very homey now and we had a good time talking laughing and talking after the guys headed home.

Inspired by: Home blogs loaded with holiday ideas.

Looking forward to: Celebrating Mini-me's 23rd birthday next weekend! What are you looking forward to this week?


3 comments:

  1. I probably shouldn't have read this post... all the Christmas shows are available on Netflix?? I'm not going to get anything done now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started watching the Christmas shows yet but I'm reading my share of Christmas books! Great job on getting your decorations up. I'm hoping that will happen this week around here. Happy birthday to Mini-Me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have Netflix, but I do have two Hallmark channels that are running Christmas movies 24/7 - not to mention a huge stack of DVD's. As a matter of fact, the Hallmark channels were enough to get me to shell out for a second satellite receiver in my sewing room. Until now, I had to watch movies on DVD, but I couldn't pass up all the wonderful movies on TV. Turns out it only costs $3 per month. What was I waiting for?

    Your time with Miss H sounds wonderful! I love those days.

    ReplyDelete