Last Week I:
Sunday, August 27, 2023
Wednesday, August 23, 2023
Sunday, August 20, 2023
The Big Guy caught a cold that knocked him out for four days last week. By yesterday I was certain that I had somehow managed not to catch it. This morning I discovered that I have, in fact, managed to catch it, although I'm not feeling nearly as knocked out by it (yet) as he was. That's what I get for being so cocky about it!
Last Week I:
Thursday, August 17, 2023
Tuesday, August 15, 2023
- Technology playing a big part, especially having a female lead who was savvy enough to use it to stay one step ahead of her pursuers.
- The fast pace of the book.
- Thanks to another of Ware's books, I was never entirely sure that our heroine was going to solve the mystery...or even survive.
- The ending.
- Fairly early on in her run, Jack injures herself. You and I both know that this injury is going to continue to get worse and worse and that, in the end, it will be a race against that injury to solve the mystery of who killed Gabe.
- Also, that injury was, very early on, causing Jack excruciating pain. I don't know about you, but when I've experienced excruciating pain, it's laid me low. But somehow Jack just keeps pushing on. Even as the pain gets even more excruciating. We know because Ware tells us again and again and again how bad the pain is.
- We learn early on that Jack's sister is a journalist and her brother-in-law is a lawyer. I 100% assumed they were given these careers because that was going to come into play. It doesn't and I can't imagine why not.
- Jack's skills don't seem to help all that much throughout the chase, except for a couple of times.
- Ware tries to point us in the direction of a man we're meant to believe killed Gabe because he and Jack were once in an abusive relationship. He had told her that if he couldn't have her, no one could. But I never for a minute bought that he was the killer. Except that I'm usually so bad at predicting the actual killer that I wondered if Ware was intentionally making it too obvious.
- Along the chase, Jack meets a person who I was certain was going to come back to play a part in the plot, but he entirely disappeared. In a book with so few characters, this seems an odd waste.
- Something happens about half way through the book that should have tipped Jack off immediately as to a person she couldn't trust, but she never made the connection.
- AND I figured out who was behind the killing almost immediately, it was just a matter of figuring out why. And even that I had figured out well before the end of the book. You all know how rare that is for me. So rare that I began to wonder if I had read too much into some things. I hadn't.
- Also, the ending. Yes, I know I said it worked for me; part of it did, the part where somethings were left unsettled. But other things were tied up too neatly.
Sunday, August 13, 2023
Last Week I: