Friday, June 19, 2009

TLC


An oldie from Booking Through Thursday:

  1. Are you careful with the spines? Or do you crack your books open to make them lay flat? I'm pretty careful with the spine; I never crack books open. But see #5 to know why you can always tell that I've read a book.
  2. Do you use bookmarks? Or do you dog-ear the corners? If you do use bookmarks, do you use those fashionable metal ones? Or paper? Never bend the corners. I have some very nice leather bookmarks from Scotland, a metal one, and a couple of magnetic bookmarks but since I often can't find any of them, any piece of paper will do.
  3. Do you write in your books? Ever? If you do, do you make small marks, or write in as much blank space as you can find? Pen or pencil? Highlighter? Your name on the front page? I never write in a book with the following exceptions: I put my name in the book if I want it to find it's way back to me and when I give a book as a gift I always write the date, the occasion, who gave the book, and a little note as to why it was chosen.
  4. Do you toss your books on the floor? Into bookbags? Or do you treat them tenderly, with respect? I don't toss them on the floor, but they do get stacked on the floor. My books are always getting shoved into my purse. Otherwise, I think I'm pretty respectful of them.
  5. Do you ever lay your book face-down, to save your place? Yes but only if I can't find my bookmark and only for short periods of time.
  6. Um--water? Do you bathe with your books? Hold them with wet hands? Read out in the rain? Anything of that sort? I do take a book with me if I'm taking a bath but I keep a hand towel on the edge of the tub to make sure my hands are dry.
  7. Are your books lined up on a bookshelf? Or crammed in any which way? Stacked on the floor? Lined up on the bookshelves, stacked on the bookshelves and the TBR piles are growing in stacks next to my nightstand.
  8. Do you make a distinction--as regards book care--between hardcovers and paperbacks? Not really but you do have to be a little more careful of a hardcover just because they are usually heavier and bigger.
  9. And, to recap? Naturally, you love all of your books, but how, exactly? Are your books loved in the battered way of a well-loved teddy bear, or like a cherished photo album or item of clothing that's used, appreciated, but carefully cared for? More like an item of clothing.
  10. Any additional comments? The only books that stay in my house after reading are the ones I know I'll read again, classics, coffee table books (for color and decoration as much as anything) and my collection of old books, including childrens books.
How do you treat your books? Leave your answers or a link to your blog in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh! I like this little survey! I'll have to spend some time thinking about the answers, and I'll post this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re #10- I used to keep absolutely everything I read. I was devastated when we left Australia and I knew I would have to get rid of some books. Of course, I haven't missed any of them many that I gave away! Now I try to do like you do and only keep things I really loved and/or know I will want to read again one day.

    I'll probably do this meme. I'm a sucker for memes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I read a book I write my name and the date I finished it on the inside cover. I dogear the pages of paperbacks but not hardbacks.

    ReplyDelete