Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hamish MacBeth Mysteries by M. C. Beaton

In recent weeks you may have noticed that I've been listening to a lot of M. C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth mysteries. Beaton was recommended to me first by my aunt and uncle and I jotted down both the MacBeth books and Beaton's Agatha Raisin books. But I never got around to actually picking up any of them. Then when I started to blog, I noticed the books on other people's blogs. Still I didn't get any of the books picked up until one day when I was in the library and noticed Death of a Village: A Hamish MacBeth Mystery on CD. And I thought that was a great way to give Beaton a chance. And I liked it and it was the perfect kind of book to listen to while working because the stories aren't long, not are they overly complicated. So the last time I was at the library, I picked up four more Beaton books, two of which I've listened to in the past week, including my first Agatha Raisin books.

As much as I enjoyed Death of a Village, I didn't really appreciate Beaton until I listened to Death Of A Cad and Death Of A Dreamer. In both of these books, there is only one mystery to be solved and which give Beaton longer to develop the story. There are almost no jump-out-and-scare-your-pants-off moments in Beaton and very little in the way of graphic violence or gore. They're called "cozy" mysteries for a reason. You don't have to read trying to make sure you don't miss the clues. It's not a game to see if you can solve the mystery before MacBeth does.

I gotta tell you, I'm starting to have a little bit of a crush on Hamish. The
poor guy has a lot of trouble with women. It's not that he can't attract them; he's always balancing at least a couple of them. It's just that he's a lot better at solving mysteries than he is at romancing the ladies. And he's so content in the little village of Lochdubh, that he's turned down promotions. Which doesn't necessarily impress the ladies. That and his habit of spoiling his pets.

I suppose it would be a good idea to read these books in order; I haven't and there are references in the books to previous interactions between characters that I don't get. But I've listened to enough of them know to know all about Hamish's relationships with Elspeth Grant and Priscilla Halburton, his friendship with a fellow police officer who is more than a little found of the drink and his problems with his immediate superior who tries to keep MacBeth as far away from cases as he can and steals the limelight when the cases are solved. Honestly, there are so many great characters in this village, I'm surprised this hasn't been made into a television series.

I think I've just about exhausted the library's supply of Beaton on CD. When that happens, I'll certainly start picking the books up and reading them the old-fashioned way.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I'm always on the lookout for audiobook mysteries that aren't too graphic. I think I've read a few Agatha Raisins and one Hamish Macbeth before, but quite a while ago. I just checked, and my library has tons of Beaton's books (not as many in audio, but enough!). I'm working my way through the Harry Potter series right now in audio, and it will be nice to have another series lined up for when I finish these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been made into a TV series.
    Three Seasons in fact.
    All are great fun, but the first and third seasons are the best.
    Here is an Amazon link for the DVD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't even heard of this one... sounds really good though! Maybe I will try them out... but I have concentration issues with Audio books... so it is print all the way for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also like the Agatha Raisin mystery series by Beaton. She is a very quirky character, funny but endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to hear about new mysteries and to know that it has its own TV series! Cool! I also have an award for you!

    http://gofita.blogspot.com/2009/10/dragons-loyalty-and-great-look-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for mentioning them on your post today. sounds like a fun series and one that I just may have to read one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about these books for awhile and I'm sure I'd enjoy them...even more sure now, after reading your post. I like the audio approach for these--I'll see if my library has some after I'm done listening to Atonement.

    >There are almost no jump-out-and-scare-your-pants-off moments in Beaton and very little in the way of graphic violence or gore.

    Love those cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of these books for years and now that I've read your post, I'm even more sure that I'll like them. I like the audio approach for this kind of book, so after I'm done listening to Atonement I'll see whether my library has some.

    >There are almost no jump-out-and-scare-your-pants-off moments in Beaton and very little in the way of graphic violence or gore.

    Love those cozies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the Agatha Raisin book I read by the author. I really must introduce myself to Hamish one of these days. You make the books sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love MC Beaton's books, especially Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth. I've read every one of them and listened to a few on CD while commuting. It was good that I listened to the CD before reading the books or I wouldn't have known how to pronounce any of the place names! Also bought the DVDs starring Robert Carlyle. The series is charming and I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete