Friday, November 19, 2010

Challenge Update

A month and a half left in the year and I'm scrambling like crazy to get through the challenges I signed up for at the beginning of the year.  I thought I had set myself up to easily succeed easily at all 11 (or was it 13?) challenges.  I read 118 books last year and the way I planned to meet the challenges meant I'd only have to read 46 books.  Should have been easy, right?  Sadly, no.  In fact, I'm going to have to give up on both The Michener Challenge (no way to work one of his big books in by the end of the year!) and The Random Reading Challenge (I got stuck on my third book--did not like it at all and just could not move on without finishing it).


I have had better success with other challenges.  I've finished the 2010 Flashback Reading Challenge.  I signed up to read 4 books and have already re-read six books: "James And The Giant Peach," "Eloise," "Charlotte's Web," "Stuart Little," "Wuthering Heights" and "Angela's Ashes."  By year's end, I also hope to have re-read "Jane Eyre" and one of Jane Austen's books.


I've also completed the 451 Challenge.  I always was kind of a rebel, I suppose.  For this one, I read "Eloise," Wuthering Heights," "The Handmaid's Tale," "The Poisonwood Bible," "Anne of Green Gables " and "To Kill A Mockingbird."

Now I've got to go read--I'm only half way done with 2 big challenges and still need to read one more for the O.A.T.E.S. challenge.

13 comments:

  1. Whatever you get done, you get done. Hopefully you had fun while reading and learned a little along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the scrambling to finish challenges - I did an assessment earlier this week and it will be a stretch for sure! oh well - leaves something to strive for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am scrambling to finish my challenges too. I would actually love to read a Michener book but I don't see that happening any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did great on the challenges and wouldn't knock myself out too much over trying to finish the rest of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a great job with your challenges. I didn't sign up for many this year and I think I'm down to one book to go in my remaining challenge. Hopefully I'll make it. I just need to get on it before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've given up on the Michener challenge and the Random Reading Challenge (as well as a couple of others too). I plan to do fewer challenges next year (of course I said that last year too, so we'll see).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow, 11 (or 13) reading challenges?? I'm having trouble keeping up with one!

    I've not participated in many challenges before, but I think I would end up signing up for too many and then feeling overwhelmed. I've decided instead to just pick and choose what I like from different challenges and incorporate it into my own regular reading.

    Good luck getting everything done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! You've done a great job so far with the challenges you have completed. I know I dropped a few challenges because of time and because of interest. Funny how the challenges that sound so fun at the beginning of the year become less so as the year progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I have failed at a TON of challenges I signed up for this year. The only thing I can do is learn from my mistake and not sign up for so many next year. They are really so tempting though, aren't they? And no need to drop out of The Michener Challenge. It's a perpetual challenge so it doesn't end until you get through the list (or you give up)! I hope you will stay with us at the Michener challenge (all four of us...LOL!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing great on challenges! Especially for 11, geez!!! Awesome!

    Don't hate me cause of Little Women :o( Part of me thinks that though I might not have had the attention span for it as a child, I also might have appreciated it more back then. Too bad I can't time travel to when I was a little girl and toss it in my lap!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your timing for this post is perfect, I was thinking about challenges while running today. I signed up for two or three but there were easy ones... review everything you read and read from your shelves. I need to dig up the posts and write a recap in the next month or so. I haven't been tracking so this might be more work...

    Great job though - I was surprised by the quantity of challenges you signed up for this year. Will you do this again next year? Or maybe fewer challenges more books per challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you are doing definitely better than me.. I do not even where I am, but surely nowhere as good as you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's too much pressure this time of year...I know, I will not complete (1) challenge for sure. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete