Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday Finds - More Fairy Tales!


If you thought the last fairy tale book I found on a Friday had a strange name, you'll have to agree that this one tops it. From Russia, Ludmilla Petrushevskya brings us "There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales."  This is actually the second book of Russian fairy tales I have added to my wish list in the past week.


On a much lighter note, my next addition to the fairy tale wish list is "A Tale Dark & Grimm" by Adam Gidwitz.  Gidwitz has taken Hansel and Gretl out of their own story and into eight other fairy tale for young readers.


Ron Rash's "Serena" was one of my favorite books last year so I'm excited to see that his latest, "Burning Bright" is now out.  This I don't get though--why does it have exactly the same name as one of Tracy Chevalier's books?  Her book was only published two years ago so it shouldn't have been too hard to find out that there was already a book with this title.  Gonna read it anyway, though.


Thanks to Miz B of Should Be Reading for hosting Friday Finds!  What new books did you find this week?

12 comments:

  1. Fairy tales should not be able to take that name, especially since they are all so horrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info about Ron Rash's latest. I've still got Serena high up on my TBR pile.
    Fairy and folk tales are fascinating, but some are too scary for me, such as Grimm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow--Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbor's Baby sounds really creepy--in more than one way! Seems the cover might look familiar, though...wondering if I've seen it around and just don't realize it. Enjoy these! I don't read fairy tales often but I do enjoy them--especially retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw "There Once Lived A Woman" somewhere else this week and it sounds really interesting! I think I need to read "My Mother She Killed Me" before buying any more fairy tales, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited to hear what you think about There Once Lived A Woman Who Tried To Kill Her Neighbor's Baby: Scary Fairy Tales. I have been seeing that book everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh this sounds fascinating! I will have to check it out. You find such great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved There Once Lived a Woman! Very strange and different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with Ron Rash, but I really like that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I have the first book! I read just a bit of it, and it's dark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ordered A Dark Tale & Grimm for my library!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a name :) I am definitely going to look out for these here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the scary fairy tales book you highlighted here! The ttile alone makes me want to own and display it!
    I'm not familiar with Ron Rash but will be looking him up. Strange that is title is the same as one of Tracy Chevalier's books. And I thought similar covers was disappointing!

    Great post, Lisa!
    ~ Amy

    ReplyDelete