Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite New-To-Me Authors In 2012


This week the ladies at The Broke and The Bookish asked us to share with you our favorite new-to-us authors for the year. I thought this one would be easy for me; I read a lot of books this year by authors who were new to me.  Surprisingly, I struggled...I had a hard time narrowing my list down to ten and I wanted to make sure I could justify my choices, not just follow the herd. Eventually I decided to stick strictly to fiction.


1. Amor Towles - Rules of Civility may very well be my favorite book this year. So glad to know that he's working on another book!

2. Graham Greene - The End of the Affair may not end of up in my top ten books read this year, but I definitely appreciated Greene's writing and I'm looking forward to reading more of it.

3. Erin Morgenstern - Morgenstern transported me to another world every time I sat down with The Night Circus. What more could you want?

4. Tana French - Her flawed characters and semi-ambiguous ending had me rushing out to buy the rest of the series after reading Broken Harbor.


5. Louise Doughty - Whatever You Love was one scene away from being a book I loved. On the other hand, because of that one scene, I will have a hard time forgetting this book.

6. Laura Moriarty - I struggled with Moriarty's The Center of Everything but I loved The Chaperone. Luckily, I read it first and I'm preferring to believe that it is more representational of what Moriarty is capable of.

7. Sarah Waters - When you can write a book that leaves me feeling edgy in broad daylight, you've impressed me. That's exactly what Waters did in The Little Stranger.

8. Stephen Dau - A debut novel by an inexperienced author that perfectly captures the ambiguity of war? That was The Story of Jonas for me.

9. Vincent Lam - It's not easy to maintain the level of stress Lam created in The Headmaster's Wager. It became harder and harder for me to read...in a good way.


10. Louisa Young - Young covered a lot of territory in My Dear I Wanted To Tell You, managing to excel with both war and love elements. This was a book I felt both men and women would enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. It WAS hard to narrow it down to ten this year, but Amor Towles was on the top of my list, too. Tana French is an author I must read in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite new to me authors is a great category. I so love finding authors that I love! It's great to have someone to go to when you're just "not in the mood" for anything else! Oh, but it's so awful when a newly found go-to author dies! I've had that happen to me twice now! (maybe it's me - LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read something by Sarah Waters. Next year. I say that every year, but this time I mean it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard these are all so good. I tried a couple of new authors this year and was pleasantly surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your list. It was very well thought out and I had to pin 2 books from it because of your past reviews I know that they're titles that I must read in 2013!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great list! I like that Louise Doughty made your list even though the book was one scene away from a great novel!

    ReplyDelete