Tuesday, December 23, 2014

How The Holidays Killed My Reading

You see this book? It's really very good; I'm enjoying it a lot. But I started it over a week ago and I'm still not even half way finished with it.

Part of it is the time I've spent in stores that I might otherwise have spent reading. Or the time I've spent baking Christmas goodies. But, let's be honest, my biggest time suck the past couple of weeks has been Christmas shows...or, for that matter, any show which features Christmas in prominent scenes. I have never spent so much time in front of the television watching Christmas shows. For a girl who was feeling so grinchy a couple of weeks ago, these shows have helped me do an about face. I'm feeling very festive!

Just what have I watched?


* "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" - the original, only the original!
* "Auntie Mame"
* "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"
* "White Christmas"
* "Holiday Inn"
* All three versions of "Miracle on 34th Street"
* "Love Actually"
* "The Santa Claus"
* "The Nativity Story"
* "Elf"
* "It's A Wonderful Life"
* "Bridget Jones' Diary"
* "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott

Have you been addicted to the shows this season? What have I missed (besides "Rudolph" which I will make sure gets watched yet this week!)? Starting Friday, it's back to the books, though!

7 comments:

  1. Me too! I saw several of the same ones as you on AMC. Do you watch that channel?

    Time travelers wife required some concentration on my part to follow along, especially as it progressed...so you might want to wait til you can give it your full attention. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far I've watched The Ref, Holiday Inn, Miracle on 34th Street, White Christmas, Christmas in Connecticut, It Happened on 5th Avenue, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, The Little Drummer Boy, and I know I'll be getting through more of my vast collection over the next two days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely spent more time watching Christmas shows than I have. I was so sure I would use some of my time off leading up to the holiday drowning in Christmas movies--and I've only watched maybe two (not counting the bazillion times I've had to watch Caillou's Holiday Christmas Movie). I am glad you are feeling the holiday spirit, Lisa. :-)

    have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elf and A Muppet Christmas Carol, and A Christmas Story are always on my list. While You Were Sleeping gets in there too. I think it's great to slow down and enjoy this time of year however that may be! Merry Christmas to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted today about an eye issue I've been dealing with which has kept me from reading. I have two books to finish but today I am better so I hope to at least finish one of the books.

    You know, I have never seen White Christmas all the way through? My family gets bored so I catch it in bits but never the entire thing all at once. Let's see, what have I seen so far:

    Christmas Vacation
    Elf
    Deck the Halls
    Jingle All the Way
    Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer
    The Family Stone
    I Love Lucy Christmas Special in color
    Christmas With the Kranks

    Still have to watch A Christmas Story, It's a Wonderful Life, Love Actually, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and the Michael Buble Christmas special that I recorded last night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds so much like me! I have watched too much TV and movies this month that I should forgo all TV for the rest of the year. I think the movie phase is over for me, so hopefully I will read more now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? No Christmas Vacation?! ;) Most of our watching has been kiddo movies--including the new Grinch (groan). And to be totally fair to your reading, you did pick kind of a complicated book to read during a distracted time! I do hope you like it when you can focus on it--it's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete