Sunday, May 6, 2018

Life: It Goes On - May 6

Happy May! We've been getting rain, and sun, and much warmer temperatures. I think spring has finally sprung! Makes this girl so happy to have been able to spend Friday evening on the patio, relaxing the week away. The lilies, daisies, irises, and peonies are all going great guns and yesterday I even started putting plants in pots outdoors. I can't wait for all of the color to arrive!

Life is back to normal this week, if still busy. There were lots of Mom things to be done - Mini-him needed my vehicle and help exchanging a mattress, Miss H needed help working on a budget - which I don't mind doing at all. I had a girls' night and The Big Guy and I enjoyed a beautiful evening at the ballpark.

Last Week I:

Listened To: More podcasts, including Annotated, Happier, and Radiolab. Thursday I finally had a chance to hit up the library book sale for more audiobooks. I came away with four and decided to start with Cranford. Popped in the first disc and it didn't work. Ugh! So instead I'm listening to Maggies Shipstead's Seating Arrangements. I thought I recognized the reader's voice so looked to see who it was - Arthur Morey. Hmm, that sounded familiar. What other book did I listen to that he read? Turns out I've listened to him read three books in the past year: The Old Cape Magic (which actually has a strikingly similar story setting), Homer and Langley, and The 19th Wife. I don't specifically look for books read by him but I do enjoy his reading.

Watched: The Voice, an episode of The Crown,  and I finished a season of The Great Interior Design Challenge. I've really enjoyed seeing all of the English architecture as much as anything.

Read: I finished Wide Sargasso Sea, I'm about half way through Hello, Sunshine, and I started Curtis Sittenfield's You Think It, I'll Say It. I'm feeling the reading bug again which makes me happy, especially as reading on the patio season starts.

Made: BBQ chicken and mac 'n' cheese, nachos, breakfast for dinner - if it wasn't easy, it wasn't getting made this week.

Enjoyed: Happy hour with Tier One friends!


This Week I’m: 

Planning: Gardens and changes around the yard, including enlarging some beds.

Thinking About: Everything I need to get done today. Yikes!

Feeling: Excited for Mini-me and Ms. S as they are launching into their next life experience. She is already in Rochester while he finishes out their lease in Milwaukee and preps for the move. We're going to miss visiting Milwaukee but can't wait until we don't need a wedding for us to be all together again!

Looking forward to: Dinner with a coworker and former coworker.

Question of the week: When I read Lincoln In The Bardo last year, I wanted to put a copy into every one's hands. But I'd read it through Netgalley so I didn't have a copy and I couldn't even loan them my Nook to read it since it expired. When I found a copy at my library book sale, I bought it just so I could loan it out. And, probably, read it again. Have you ever loved a book so much that you bought an extra copy just to share it?

6 comments:

  1. So glad you guys had a good time at the wedding in Dallas. You'll have to come around again at some point. Nice to hear that your weather has moved toward spring. As to buying a copy to lend out, well, I'm not very attached to my books. I often lend or give them away. However, many of them these days are e-books, so that's not possible a lot. I think your idea sounds like a good one. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking the other day that we need to dust off our patio furniture and make it more spring ready. That is if the spring temperatures stay. It may be time to put up the pool again soon. I can't say I have ever wanted an extra copy of a book I loved to loan out--but I have bought copies of favorite books for others so they could enjoy it too. :-) I hope you have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a 2nd copy of Woman by Natalie Angiers to give away and also Wind Sand and Stars.

    I'll have to look for Arthur Morey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of my favorite books lately, I tend to have a physical copy as well as an audiobook version. I like the ability to re-read via audiobook for some reason. It makes me sink into a story just a little bit farther, and I always catch something new when I listen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on an iris kick lately. I passed a house the other day that had a big bank of them and they were absolutely gorgeous so I've decided I need that in my life. Sounds like a busy week! I've been craving macaroni and cheese lately so I'm thinking I might need to steal what you've been cooking! BBQ chicken and mac and cheese sounds like perfection! I saw your question on my Paperless Post post and wanted to let you know that you could do either mass cards or individual. I've experimented with both and they're both pretty effective. I like the way they set up an RSVP page for invitations and then individual cards are just fun to send. I've been sending my husband random ones almost daily! Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expressed my love for Lincoln in the Bardo and another blogger sent me her signed, slip-cased edition! I could not believe it. So, I have a beautiful edition to call my own but there is no way I will lend it out. I will have to buy a used copy for that purpose but YES! I would buy a copy to lend out. For sure. I feel the same way about A Gentleman in Moscow.

    ReplyDelete