Sunday, August 20, 2023

Life: It Goes On - August 20

Happy Sunday! Mother Nature was not having it with everyone saying that summer is over because the kids are going back to school. She turned up the heat this weekend and it's here to stay for the week. It means our tomatoes are going to ripen like crazy this week, it's unlikely that there will be meals on the patio, containers of water need to be left out for the wildlife, and I'll break a sweat just watering the plants outside. Still, I'll take that over winter any day of the week. 

The Big Guy caught a cold that knocked him out for four days last week. By yesterday I was certain that I had somehow managed not to catch it. This morning I discovered that I have, in fact, managed to catch it, although I'm not feeling nearly as knocked out by it (yet) as he was. That's what I get for being so cocky about it! 

Last Week I: 

Listened To: All The Broken Places by John Boyne. I've never read his book, The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, although it's almost certainly his best known book. I'll review this one later this week but I definitely recommend reading The Boy In The Striped Pajamas first because I think this one will pack an even more powerful punch that way. 

Watched: We were in KC yesterday (more on that later) and Miss H and I decided to watch The Lizzie McGuire Movie while we were eating dinner and vegging out on the sofa. Talk about a trip down memory lane. Why didn't that movie teach Miss H never to trust a guy who seems too good to be true?! 

Read:
 I'm reading Tom Lake by Ann Patchett. I'm about half way through it; barring a complete let down at the end, this one will end up as a favorite of the year. 

Made: Roasted tomatoes in a creamy sauce over pasta, BLT salads, BLTs...basically, if you can use tomatoes in it, we've been making it this past week as the tomatoes are ripening faster than we can use them. About time to freeze some. 

Enjoyed: Miss H is going to be moving soon-ish, into an apartment, and will finally need her own furniture and kitchen stuff. So BG decided we should load up the vehicles and rent a storage space to avoid having to move so much later. Since he was sick all week, we opted to take only one vehicle but then loaded it up twice more with things she had stored in the attic of the house she's currently in. Thank heavens the storage unit is climate controlled. Then we spent some time apartment hunting and just hanging out together. You know how much I love being with my kids, even if it is 100 degrees out!

This Week I’m:  

Planning: This will all depend on how I feel. If I'm feeling good enough, I'll be over to my dad's this week to continue getting him ready for his move in October. If not, I'll keep this cold away from him and focus on the basement since it's too hot outside to do anything out there. Getting Miss H's stuff out of the basement will free so much space in the basement, but I want to be very intentional about what we do with that space. 

Thinking About: How much I need to do and how little time I have to be sick. So frustrating. 

Feeling: Tired. I'll be going to bed very early tonight. 

Looking forward to:
Next Sunday would have been BG's dad's 100th birthday. We're getting together with his sibs and their spouses to celebrate Jack with some of his favorites including whiskey sours and cherry pie. I'll be taking some glassware to my SIL; pieces I culled from my pressed glass collection. Did I mention that after I had completely rearranged my secretary/china hutch, I hated it and decided I needed to get rid of some things and rearrange it again? I'm so happy that some of those things are going to a home where I know they will be used and appreciated. 

Question of the week: I know we're not the only ones suffering through high temps. What fun ways have you found to beat the heat lately? Have you been to a body of water? Sat in an air-conditioned movie theater? Eaten ice cold watermelon or popsicles? 

No comments:

Post a Comment