Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunday Salon - May 30

I'm enjoying a very quiet, relaxing Sunday afternoon following a very busy past couple of weeks which were capped, yesterday, with Mini-me's graduation ceremony and party. He had a great time at his party, but I've got to admit that I was exhausted by the time it was over and very happy when it was just down to family, a few close friends and a big glass of wine!

I'm a pretty emotional person, as a general rule and, when it comes to my kids, I really amp it up a notch. When the soon-to-be graduates started marching into Sir Edward Elgar's "Pomp & Circumstance," I pretty nearly lost it. Nothing quite says "this is the end of one stage and the beginning of another" quite like that piece of music.

As I was sitting there, watching the kids cross the stage, I was struck by two things. First, I was appalled by how little regard some people have for other people. I really don't see the need to whoop and yell when your loved one crosses the stage (it is supposed to be a solemn occasion, after all) but if you really must, is there any need for you to yell so long that the announcement of the next student's name cannot be heard? Then I got to thinking "I forgot to tell Mini-me that there were to be no shenanigans once that diploma was in his hands." After all, one young man had just done a back flip as he crossed the stage. I need not have worried; he did his family proud.

My other big news this week was the publication of my first article as a regular contributor to omaha.net. I'll be writing a monthly column there about all things bookish--passing along a lot of the great things you all share with me, talking about things going on in the Omaha area, and introducing their readers to book-related experiences to be had. Even for those of you not in the area, there are a lot of great articles about everything from the arts to pets to workplace advice.


Welcome back to all of you who have been to BEA! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!

17 comments:

  1. I am glad you are finally having a quiet weekend, Lisa. I am glad your son had a great time at his graduation. Congratulations to both you and him. :-)

    And how exciting that you'll be publishing articles with omaha.net! I loved your first article.

    Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that everything went well for graduation and that you had today to relax. What a good looking young man!!

    Very cool on the writing gig..I will be sure to look them up!!

    Have a safe Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to the young man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was weepy all day on graduation day too... but I think it was a combination of sentimental-ness/exhaustion/mother in law stress and day three of what ended up being a four day headache! We didn't have to do a party because the school handles that, and all the kids support it. Makes things very nice, but still, I didn't sleep well until she was home safe and sound at 3:45 am.

    Congrats about the article. That is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lots of congratulations are in order! What an exciting time for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad everything went well for his graduation!! That's nice to hear :)

    Congrats on landing the monthly column... that's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're so happy to have you at Omaha.net - looking forward to your articles! Congrats on graduation - great accomplishment for the entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great week! Congratulations to both you and your son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pair of exciting news! Congrats to your son and yourself!! I'm going to check out your article.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you were able to finally relax!! And that is super awesome about your monthly article, congrats!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great week! Sounds like everything went well with graduation - exciting! And Congrats to you on your monthly column on omaha.net - that is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am about to go through a promotion ceremony for my son and to tell you the truth, I am not looking forward to the other parents being there. The yelling, the crying, the carrying on. People, have some dignity!

    Congrats to your son by the way :)

    Congrats to you too!! I popped over to take a looksie. You must be so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to your son upon his graduation!! Also another congrats to you for your new gig!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to your son for graduating and congratulations to you for the publication of your article, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to your son! Congratulations to you on your new column! Very exciting!

    I went to my nephew's graduation last week and I thought the same thing about all the carrying on and hollering. I was frustrated at some of the crowd (yes, it is a milestone to celebrate, but your loudness shouldn't impact my ability to hear who is being announced) and I was somewhat frustrated at the announcers for not taking a few seconds to pause after each student. And there I declare that I must be a fuddy duddy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my - so much to respond to!

    First of all, I totally agree with the lack of respect shown at some ceremonies....but so happy for your graduate. What a milestone!

    Secondly - how wonderful that you will be writing weekly online articles. I would love to check them out (and as part of my "vacationing in my own backyard" I hope to come to Omaha sometime)

    and thirdly --- let's definitely plan a Burger and Book reunion in Westport!! What fun we will have (and I am sure Geoff/Jeff can finding something to do to keep themselves entertained :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear the graduation went smoothly and the party was a success.

    My 7 year old nephew brought a fog horn to AWP's graduation and still talks about it (he 'honked' it so much ahead of time that it didn't work) - HA

    AWP was given the go ahead to walk across the stage on crotches the day before the ceremony so he's wearing shorts and burn sleeves... nice!

    I'm SO happy you decided to write for Omaha.net - I think you will enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete