Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Agnes Grey" by Anne Bronte

Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
Published by Wordsworth Classics
Source: bought this one

When Agnes Grey's father loses the family savings in a disastrous investment, 18-year-old Agnes feels it is time for her to learn to take care of herself and earn her own way.  Although sad to leave her family, Anne heads off to Wellwood Mansion full of high hopes.  Unfortunately, the Bloomsfield family quickly makes Agnes realize how inferior they consider her to be; even the children show her very little respect.  Things are little better for Agnes when she becomes the governess for the Murrays of Horton Lodge, although here Agnes will start to find a way to make her own life.

I've read Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre (love it) and Emily's Wuthering Heights (I've read it three times, trying to find out what makes it so popular and still don't get it).  I had great hopes for Anne; my friend Sarah, of Sarah Says, declares that Anne is her favorite of the Bronte sisters. She's going to have to do much more than she did with Agnes Grey before she can unseat Charlotte in my opinion.

This book is a largely autobiographical account of Anne's own time as a governess.  Which is not particularly an exciting or fast-paced life, of course.  But the first half of this book really felt like it was crawling along for me.  Anne was clearly an introspective woman, as well as a deeply religious person, and long passages of the book were nothing more than Agnes' reflections.  I began to long for Wuthering Heights' Catherine Earnshaw.

Anne did not think much of the British upper class, if this book is a true reflection of her own opinion.  The fathers in both families that Agnes served were absent, the mothers delusional about the merits of their children, and the children spoiled and lazy. Agnes was given charge of the children but no authority at all to discipline them.  Agnes Grey picked up for me when the Murray children grew older.  Agnes began to venture out into the community and Bronte's commentary was able to become more far reaching.

I'll keep this one and perhaps give it another read one day.  In the meantime, I'll pick up Anne's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and see if I enjoy it as much as Sarah did.

18 comments:

  1. I'll get to Anne one of these days, but may start with The Tenant of Wildfell Hall instead. A reread Jane Eyre will probably happen first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I find that big chunks of those wonderful period books crawl for me. It's easier for me if I start with a movie. I don't see any movie on Agnes Grey, but there is - you may have seen - a new version of Jane Eyre coming out. I can watch that movie over and over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Agnes Grey, but The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was MUCH better. Some people said that it was too religious, but I didn't really think so... she was more just very pious, but she didn't spend pages and pages lecturing.

    Anyways, hope you like it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book on my Kindle, and as of yet, I haven't made the time for it. The only book by any of the Bronte sisters I have read has been Wuthering Heights. I do think this sounds interesting though, and might actually like the introspective passages, though if the book meanders too much, it might not be all that pleasant for me. Thanks for this awesome review and for bringing this book to my attention again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights and have read them both, but I do not have this one. I'd be interested to read it so as to compare it to the others. I need to read JE and WH again someday...they were both wonderful. I am one of those people that loves Wuthering Heights and Heathcliff. I know a lot of people do not understand! Great review Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only Bronte book I've read is Jane Eyre, so I am rather behind. I have the collection of their works, but have yet to push myself to read them. I'm thinking I'll pass on Agnes Grey for now. Hmmm. Maybe I'll give Jane Eyre a re-read - it has been some years. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked Agnes Grey, but it was definitely more placid than WH or Jane Eyre. Sweet and enjoyable, but not necessarily as deeply felt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too loved Jane Eyre and think its nearly time for a re-read. I also totally agree about Wuthering Heights....
    They are making a new film about Jane Eyre next year. Just saw the trailer the other day. Looks like it might be good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne is the only Bronte I haven't read, but maybe I won't start with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not read any of the Bronte sisters (shameful, I know!). I'm planning to start with Jane Eyre, then Wuthering Heights. Not sure I'll go with this one for Anne--I'll wait for your review of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights have always been my faves, but I really should try the others, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While Wuthering Heights remains my favorite for its inventive storytelling and odd plot twist, I think Anne Bronte is much overlooking. I really liked her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your review has great insight...I have Wildfell Hall and look forward to what you think of that one. I detested Wuthering Heights!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed Tenant much better than Agnes Grey, so hopefully you will give that one a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really want to read Anne Bronte. I may have this one on my shelves, now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a big fan of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, and read Tenant of Wildfell Hall a few years ago. I felt it was twice as long as it should've been--the first part was interesting, but then it got very repetitive, preachy, and long-winded. I've been meaning to read Agnes Grey, primarily because I eventually want to have read all the major works by the Brontes, but it sounds like I might succumb to skimming as I did with Tenant.

    > I began to long for Wuthering Heights' Catherine Earnshaw.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't yet read this one and keep putting it off. Like you, I love Jane Eyre and don't get what the fuss is about in regards to Wuthering Heights. Still, I think it'd be good to at least give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Of the Brontes' books, I've only read Jane Eyre, which I thought was okay. I have Wuthering Heights but haven't read it, and I don't own anything by Anne Bronte. Maybe I'll give this a try at some point, but I'd rather read Austen. ;)

    ReplyDelete