Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Originally published in 1952 by Harper & Row Publishers

Wilbur, the runt of the litter, is a pig saved and raised by a girl named Fern.  When Wilbur gets too big to live with Fern, he moves to her uncle's farm where he lives in a barn, surrounded by geese, sheep, a rat and a new friend, Charlotte, the spider. Although Fern saved Wilbur when he was first born, she's powerless to save him now that he's gotten bigger and it looks like he just might make a tasty ham for Christmas.  But his friendship with Charlotte saves him when the people wake up one morning to find, written in Charlotte's web, the words "Some Pig" above Wilbur's head.  People come from far and wide to see the amazing pig and, in the end, Charlotte's friendship saves Wilbur's life.

I read this when I was young, I read it to my children when they were young.  I've seen the movie dozens of times. So why did I read it again?  Because it works for a couple of the reading challenges I signed up for and it made for a fast read.  I didn't really expect to get anything new from the book after all of this time, just a bit of nostalgic happiness.

Yet as I read this book this time, I was amazed that I had never fully grasped the violence in this book.  How in the world did I not notice that when I was reading this to my kids?  White absolutely pulls no punches just because the book is for children.  It starts right off with Fern's father heading out the door with an ax to kill Wilbur.  Then there's the description of a spider ensnaring a fly.  And the part where a sheep describes to Wilbur how the farmer, Zuckerman, is going to kill him.  This is a beloved children's classic; what does that say about our need to sanitize books for our children these days?  The message I'm getting is that children are perfectly capable of understanding that the world can be a dangerous place, as long as the core message of the book is that everything will be alright when you are surrounded by people who care.

I was also surprised by a passage about the fair.  Given that this book was first published in the early 1950's, a time we tend now to think of as a kindler, gentler, safer time, I was surprise to find myself reading about parents being concerned about sending their children off at the fair without an adult.  I'll grant you that it would not even have crossed my mind to send a ten-year-old off unsupervised at a fair when my kids were growing up but in my mind, it would have seemed perfectly logical to have done so in 1952.

The burning question for me, after reading the book, is this: why does everyone think that Wilbur is so special?  Why in the world do they all find it so much easier to believe that a pig wrote those words in a spider's web than to imagine that a spider did?

19 comments:

  1. Gosh, I haven't read this in ages, but it is one of my most beloved books. I think it's interesting that in this read through you were able to pick up on more of the violence in the story and to make connections that I probably wouldn't have made had I read it again. The issue of sending the children off to the fair is also pretty intriguing, as in today's age, no one would ever think about doing something like that, but in 1952 it probably would have been no big deal. I think society has changed drastically since those times, and the things that were deemed safe at that time are not things that we would do today. I suppose that we like to think of those times as simpler and more peaceful, but the fact that White has some of the same reservations as the parents of today do makes me feel like that probably wasn't the case. I thanks you for the very thoughtful dissection of this book, and might be inclined to read it again with a new perspective on the things that you mentioned in your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the violence when I read it to my son years ago. The same can be said for Mother Goose nursery rhymes. They are just horrible to read out loud these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know...I haven't read this book in ages but I have to tell you that this one is what started me on my love affair with reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is certainly a classic that has stood the test of time! I loved it as a kid and so did my son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to re-read this. THEN maybe I can answer your questions? I own it; just WHERE did I put it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a favorite of mine as a child. I really need to re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember reading this when I was younger. I think it may have been the very first book that I read in which I cried my eyes out.

    I think I'd like to read this one again also, just to pick up on some of these insights that I know I didn't as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have to read it again to answer. I don't really remember much. I only read it just a few years ago. I don't remember reading it as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book when I was younger. I don't think I quite got how violent it was either - I was just charmed by so much of it. But I bet it makes a great replay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last time I read this book was to my son and I had forgotten what happened in the end. I felt apprehension at how my son would take it, but like you said - he was just fine and enjoyed the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not read this book, so I cannot answer your last question :)

    Though I find it quite funny, that 10 yr-olds would not be sent to a fair unsupervised..but then if it is a girl, I think everyone is a bit more cautious..

    ReplyDelete
  12. We over protect children in so many ways nowadays.
    A reasonable level of risk is so important in learning.

    I loved Charlotte and her web as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a few years since I read this to my kids, but I never got the impression people thought Wilbur wrote the words in his stall--I always thought people assumed they just appeared, divinely out of thin air, like a star over a stable, rather than that they were a conscious act to save a life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh--interesting last thought about what makes Wilbur so special. I don't think I've revisited this book since my 3rd grade teacher read it aloud to us, but you have me very curious.

    I agree that we tend to over-censor or over protect kids. They certainly see much worse just watching the evening news, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read this since I was a kid, but your review has me thinking it's time for a reread. I haven't seen the movie either, so it would be a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "The message I'm getting is that children are perfectly capable of understanding that the world can be a dangerous place, as long as the core message of the book is that everything will be alright when you are surrounded by people who care." WELL SAID!

    I haven't read this book in many years, but I absolutely loved it and was glad my daughter enjoyed it, too. I've always wondered why they just assumed that the pig wrote the words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need a refresher on this one Lisa; it has been so long!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved this book, but it has been many years. I need to read it to my boys. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The film version of this was on tv when I was in Scotland recently. My niece, 2, has been obsessed with spiders ever since. :-)

    ReplyDelete