Sunday, November 28, 2010

Introducing Fairy Tale Fridays



I cannot believe that November is almost over, and with it, the year!  It's really got me thinking forward and starting to plan my reading for the coming year.  Ever since I went to the Omaha Lit Fest in September, I've been thinking a lot about fairy tales and how I could incorporate them into my reading.  Should I read a book of fairy tales every month?  Should I even read straight through a book or only read a story at a time?  Should I read as many different versions of the same story as I can find?  And just how many fairy tale books are there? I was pretty sure I already knew that there were a lot of books available after listening to the panelists at the Lit Fest but a quick trip to my local Border's Book Store settled the question.  I came away with a long list of books I want and I'm finding new resources almost daily.  Which means that even if I read a book a week, leaving almost no time for anything else, it would take more than a year to read everything out there.  So I settled on a more drawn out, long term solution.

Beginning this week I'm going to be starting a new feature on my blog titled "Fairy Tale Fridays."  Every Friday I'll be discussing fairy tales in some way; I may review a whole book, I may talk about only one story, I may discuss a particular author or a new resource I have found.  If you're also interested in fairy tales and would like to do a fairy tale post on Fridays, I've created a couple of buttons you can use, located in my side bar. I hope you enjoy the new feature!

10 comments:

  1. Such a lovely idea. I love fairy stories, so I'll certainly be along for the ride..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt I'll participate but I can't wait to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I'm not sure I'll be able to participate regularly, but I'm looking forward to reading your Fairy Tale Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds fun... can't wait to see what you write!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this feature!! I may have to join in a time or two!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds wonderful! I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea and will eagerly be awaiting your posts on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh - I look forward to this feature! My 7th grade curriculum is loosely based on Fairy Tales. I use them to teach students about the elements of literature; then we read Tuck Everlasting and discuss how it can be a modern day fairy tale; and in January we will read the Hobbit - another fantasy book with fairy tale elements.

    I am excited to read your First Fairy Tale Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that idea of Fairy tale Fridays. I will be stopping by and checking it out.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a very similar feature this past year on my site called Fairy Tale Fridays, too! Feel free to check out my posts for ideas and share your thoughts. The link to all my posts with other's contributions are here: http://www.tiftalksbooks.com/search/label/Fairy%20Tale%20Fridays

    I will be wrapping mine up in a few weeks and look forward to following you as you participate in the Fairy Tale Challenge this year! I've already subscribed and am going to read all of the posts I've missed already! :)

    ReplyDelete