Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Salon - January 15



Still on the mend this past week so I've been doing quite a bit of reading and quite a lot of time on the net but haven't managed to post anything since last Monday. One of these days, I'll get fully back on track. I've got a couple of reviews that will post this week (one for Nicole Krauss' The History of Love which the Omaha Bookworms will be discussing on Tuesday and one for a TLC Book Tour which The Big Guy is reviewing) and a couple for next week Now I just need to find the time to read some myths and fairy tales and I'll be good to go. Just after Christmas I picked up a couple of new books, a Hans Christian Anderson compilation and an edition of The Thousand and One Nights. I'm looking forward to sharing both of those with you.


This past week I had two books going at once, a fiction and non-fiction, and really enjoyed mixing that up so I'm trying it again this week. Yesterday I started American Eve by Paula Uruburu for my non-fiction and today I started Across The Endless River by Thad Carhart. Not only am I getting books read that are already on my shelves but American Eve satisfies my goal to read more non-fiction and Across The Endless River will work for the Historical Fiction challenge so I'm pretty pleased with myself.


I start my new job tomorrow and, just between you and me, one of the things I'm most looking forward to is lunch time. Not so much because I want to eat (although after three months of not having time for lunch, I'm looking forward to that meal again!), but because it will give me 45 minutes every day to read. Oh sure, I suppose I could use the time to socialize and get to know my new co-workers but you know I would much rather be reading!

What are you reading this week? Do you ever have multiple books going at once?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa..am glad to hear you are on the mend and hope you are feeling 100% soon! I always have a fiction and a non-fiction going at the same time because I find that if I am not in the mood for one I am for the other!! Sounds silly, but it works for me :) Enjoy the first day at your new job!! 45 minutes of lunchtime reading sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, love that book/fork picture! Enjoy your lunchtimes. When I had work lunchtimes you know I was always reading too... of course.

    Multiple books? Yep, I think I've got about four going at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always! I can't imagine just reading one book at a time. Enjoy your lunch/reading time. I do the same thing. I interact with my coworkers all day long. Lunch is my time for me to recover from the morning and prepare for the afternoon - when I get lunch that is. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We get an hour for lunch, and almost every day I retreat with my lunch and book for a hour of peace and quiet --love it. enjoy. hope u feel good as new soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your first day. I love lunch break reading. Honestly, some days I think if it weren't for lunch break, I wouldn't get any reading done at all! LOL. It's such a bummer when I have to, you know, actually eat with another human who wants to have a conversation... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do much better when I read just one book at a time, although I am reading a chapter a week from A People's History...but that almost doesn't count, since I can read those in one sitting.

    Good luck tomorrow and enjoy your reading time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missed your regular posts! Hope the new job goes well!
    I've tried reading two books at a time - a fiction and a non-fiction but somehow it doesn't always work unless it's a non-fiction book that I can just 'dip' into. It looks as if my Dickens project is on the back burner at the moment as I'm reading books set in Venice for my February participation in a Venice Reading Month, but at some point I will be reading chapters of Little Dorrit alongside other fiction/non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the middle of a few book, and it's weird for me, but also sort of cool! One classic, one nonfiction, and one fiction, in addition to one fiction and one nonfiction on audio. That's a lot of reading material for me to digest all at one time, but I think it's going ok!

    I hope that you have a great reading week ahead, and I look forward to reading more of your fairytale Friday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with the new job. I would read on my lunch too.
    Finishing up Sea of Monsters in the Percy Jackson series, and then I'm not sure. I still have Hawaii by Michner hanging out and Middlemarch too. I'm very up in the air this week.
    Hope you have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tend to read only one book at a time - the exception is an audiobook which I usually have going while I read a print book.

    I am glad you are starting to feel better - good like with the new job and enjoy those lunchtime reads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore my lunch time. I go out with the group once a week but on those other days, I find a sunny spot or a quiet spot depending on mood, and read away.

    ReplyDelete