Thursday, December 27, 2012

Looking Back - My Favorites of 2012 - Amended

*Oh my - somehow I missed two books I absolutely had to add to my list, The Lighthouse Road and Maine. I really couldn't take two books off the list so now instead of 20 books, there are 21.

It was an unusual year for me reading wise - these 21 books clearly stood above the rest of the books I read this year. Unfortunately, that says as much about the books that didn't make this list as it does about the ones that did. Perhaps this explains my several months long reading slump!

The fiction books that made my top ten and honorable mention lists were largely books that took me to another time and place or which made my pulse race a little more quickly. My top ten fiction books for 2012 were:

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
The Cove by Ron Rash

The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty
Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
The Lighthouse Road by Peter Geye
The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar
The Virgin Cure by Ami McKay
A Golden Age by Tahmima Amin

Honorable Mentions:
The Only True Genius In The Family by Jennie Nash
The Book of Jonas by Stephen Dau
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Broken Harbor by Tana French
The March by E. L. Doctorow
Maine by J. Courtney Sulliven


I read fewer non-fiction books this year (not exactly sure why because I read so many great ones in 2011). My favorites were:


The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloots
American Eve by Paula Uruburu
In My Father's Country by Saima Wahab

I've got a blend of old favorites when it comes to authors, new-to-me authors, and debut authors. I'll certainly be looking to add more books by these authors to my shelves. Have you read any of these books? What are your thoughts? What were some of your favorite books in 2012?

12 comments:

  1. Rules of Civility is on my list, too, and The Chaperone would have been on my honorable mention list if I'd made one ;-) I hope to read The World We Found and something by Tana French in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very diverse list I haven't even thought about my list yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting list. I've read some of these and do not necessarily consider them some of the best but can see why they are earning accolades. These best of lists always make me appreciate everyone's unique opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only book I've read on your list is The Little Stranger, which made my list last year. I loved it, and need to read more by her.

    I haven't read past the first Tana French book, but I don't know why. I loved the first one, but for whatever reason haven't picked up the later ones.

    Great list overall, and I've added a few to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love and have so many titles from your favorite list!! Yippee!! I wrote down 5 of them to read next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are these in order, with Rules of Civility number one? I'm hardly reading lately, so I want to pick a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The World They Found made my list this year too - such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some great books on your list, and many I hope to read in the future.

    Have a Happy New Year, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. American Eve is on my shelf somewhere, so I'm glad to see that made your list. Happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked also A Golden Age.
    neat! you will find my list in this post:
    http://wordsandpeace.com/2013/01/03/year-of-reading-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was just telling JoAnn in a comment that I'm looking forward to Rules of Civility! And now I can add to you that I'm also looking forward to The Chaperone. I actually got it for my mom for Christmas so I'm hoping she enjoys it, too (I have the audio). Hope 2013 is a wonderful reading year for you! I'm starting off with 11/22/63 and loving it so far (though technically my first finish of the year was Bleak House...finally).

    ReplyDelete