Thursday, July 27, 2017

Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris

Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris
Published August 2016 by St. Martin's Press
Source: I bought it for my Nook

Publisher's Summary:

Everyone knows a couple like Jack and Grace. He has looks and wealth, she has charm and elegance. You might not want to like them, but you do.

You’d like to get to know Grace better. But it’s difficult, because you realise Jack and Grace are never apart.

Some might call this true love. Others might ask why Grace never answers the phone. Or how she can never meet for coffee, even though she doesn’t work. How she can cook such elaborate meals but remain so slim. And why there are bars on one of the bedroom windows.

My Thoughts:
So it was time to mix things up a little for the bookclub, throw some different kinds of books into the mix and this one had gotten great reviews. People really seem to like this book.

I don't get it.

I don't know that I would go so far as to say I hated this book. I thought the ending was well done and I did like the way Paris took the story back and forth in time; those things saved this one a little bit for me. But I didn't buy the set up, I didn't buy the "always one step ahead" premise. Mostly I had a really hard time with the treatment of women. It may be where my head's at right now.

In the blogosphere, I feel pretty lonely in my opinion. But only one person in my book club liked the book, so I don't feel entirely wrong in my assessment.

And that's about it, folks.

4 comments:

  1. You are not alone!

    I also read BEHIND CLOSED DOORS. This book tells you by its title that something is going on at home that puts the lie to outward appearances. So it’s safe to say that this book is about a bad marriage. But my calling it a “bad marriage” is like the author Mary Kubica calling it “unsettling.” Both are understatements.

    The story is simple, no great shakes. It isn’t, as some reviews have called it, “unputdownable.” For me, it was the opposite. I found it so unsettling, sickening, and repetitive that I had to put the book down frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for your book club in getting outside of the box. Too bad that it wasn't a winner. It sounds like it wouldn't be my cup of tea either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like this one either...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think listening to the audio is really why I enjoyed this book. The reader was outstanding and I liked the suspenseful story. Had I read the print edition, though, I may not have liked it half as much.

    ReplyDelete