Sunday, September 24, 2017

Life: It Goes On - September 24

I didn't entirely panic when a few months back, I used up the last inhaler on my refill. I haven't had a serious attack in some time and I really was going to get to the doctor's office some time. Thursday evening, though, my asthma flared up Friday morning, it almost sent me to the emergency room. I'm a pro at this so I had the skills to settle myself and make it through a day at work; but a visit to urgent care will cost me a lot more than a visit to my doctor's office would have. One dose of the inhaler and I was feeling much better but, dang, I lost a couple of days to using all of my energy just to breathe instead of actually doing anything. I couldn't even focus on books. And here I'd given you all the impression that I was a smart woman! So here's your PSA for the week folks: don't let yourself run out of the medicines that can save your life.

This Week I'm:
Singing Bones podcast

Listening To: I'm not sure when I'm going to be in the mood to go back to listening to books while I'm in the car. I'm loving the flexibility of listening to podcasts and I'm learning so much. This weeks podcasts included: Singing Bones, Annotated, The History Chicks, Happier With Gretchen Rubin, Nerdette and Stuff You Should Know.

Watching: Lots of football, some baseball, Orange Is The New Black, The Mindy Project, and the finale of America's Got Talent.

Reading: Still plugging away at The Telling Room but I've got to get through it soon because I need to read the October book club book soon and I have Ron Chernow's Grant to read in the next month. That's gonna take some time!

Making: That enthusiasm I expressed last week for turning on the oven fizzled under last week's heat. Mostly, we ate salads, pasta, light foods. Temps are supposed to be cooler this week so I may get myself back in the mood.

Planning: A trip to the paint store this week. We have, finally (I think), agreed on a color to paint our front door. In working on the blog this weekend, I discovered that this is something we've been "discussing" for at least three years! The current color of choice is something we've never considered before but would make my mother-in-law so happy if she were still alive.


Thinking About: Where to hang the latest photo I bought from my brother once I get it matted and framed. I am so impressed by how professional this looks! Once again going to promote his website because I love his stuff so much - check him out at See-Nile Photography!

Enjoying: Scents - bergamot hand soap and lotion, eucalyptus and spearmint lotion, lavender everything, pumpkin spice  and sandalwood candles. Lately I find myself lost in testing fragrances when I'm out shopping.

Feeling: Like there has to be an easier way to deal with a sick cat. This girl's been sick and needs medicine twice a day. She cannot be tricked into eating it and getting it down her is a two person job. One of us (me) wraps her up in a giant towel and tries to hold her down while the other one (BG) tries to get a syringe far enough into her mouth (while she flails her head back and forth) so that she won't spit the medicine back out right away. It's probably a very comical thing to see but we have the scars to prove that it's no laughing matter. Ah, the joys of pet ownership!

Looking forward to: Heading north to see my sister and brother-in-law this weekend!

Question of the week: The Big Guy is frying up some potatoes for lunch; wish I could eat them at least once a week! What's your favorite way to eat potatoes?

4 comments:

  1. The Chernow bio of Grant looks great--I like Chernow, and am interested in Grant. Your brother's photo is amazing.

    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Urgent care is so expensive, isn't it? I am glad you were able to get in to see the doctor. I am glad too (and more importantly) you are feeling better. I was just thinking I need to watch the latest season of Orange is the New Black. I hope it's a good one. I've been hearing mixed reviews.

    I'm so glad my cat is easier to give medicine too! I think I take it for granted after reading your situation. If it were my other cat, it'd be more like yours, I think.

    I hope you have a nice visit with your sister and brother-in-law. Have a great week, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An asthma attack is scary so I'm glad that you managed to get an appointment with your doctor rather than having to go to emergency. Now that I have to take regular medication to keep my condition under control I try to make sure I'm organised with repeat prescriptions. We're fortunate to have the National Health Service. On the whole we're care for very well, especially us seniors, even though the system is under a lot of strain with lack of resources and medical staff. Re. food, I've cut down on carbs and sugar to try and get my weight down, but I'm being relaxed about it. We alternate pasta meals with oven bakes and I do enjoy roast potatoes. Take care Lisa. Wishing you a a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! I am so glad you were able to see the doctor. Consider your PSA duly noted.

    I haven't wanted to turn on the oven lately either. It is just too damn hot outside. I cannot wait for this weather to break.

    Plus, allergies have been horrible for the past week. Daily headaches, allergy meds that don't quite work. I hate to skip fall, but I really need some killing frost here to feel better.

    Ron Chernow writes the best biographies, doesn't he? Enjoy!

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete