Sunday, August 30, 2020

Life: It Goes On - August 30

 

Guys, I started to type May, instead of August, in the title of this post. Just a mental lapse or an indication that I want time to slow down and warm days filled with birdsong, pots of bright flowers, lush lawns to continue longer? Yes, yes I do want time to slow down. As much as I will enjoy cooler nights, the beautiful fall colors, and the smells of the season, fall is much too short and this year means we are nearing the end of being able to sit outside together in most of the country. Before we get to that time, though, I plan to enjoy as much time outdoors and with others as I can!

Last Week I: 

 Listened To: The Fire This Time (review next week) and lots of Spotify. I wish I could listen to podcasts on work but I haven't figured out how to do that yet; and, without a commute, I really haven't figured out a good time to do that because I'm always eager to get to my books when it might have worked. 

Watched:
 Lots of baseball, some basketball, and, today, the Michael York version of The Three Musketeers. I had forgotten how comic it was and how beautiful the sets and costumes were.

Read: I'm working my way through Gary Krist's The Mirage Factory and am, happily, surprised to find Krist addressing racism as Los Angeles was settled. 

Made: We ate lots of leftovers from last Sunday's big family dinner so I didn't have to cook much for a few days. Then it was salads, caprese pasta, and BLTs - summer fare!

Enjoyed:
 My parents were recently up to see my sister and brother-in-law in Wisconsin and my brother-in-law ended up driving them home. He needed to get back home so we met my sister about halfway to help get him home and we got to enjoy a lovely couple of hours having a picnic with my sister. It was much needed and an absolutely beautiful day!

This Week I’m:  

Planning: On completing the refinishing of an end table - I'm hoping not to have to paint it but we'll see once I'm completely finished. Then it's on to cleaning up a table that my father-in-law built when he was in high school that will be used a vanity in one of our guest rooms. 

Thinking About: Rearranging my basement. Guys, I talked The Big Guy into getting rid of a big, ugly recliner down there and once that's gone I can move some things to allow for a dedicated workout space. BG is really missing getting to go to the gym and has been picking up some weights so he could keep up with that piece of it; but, come winter, he'll need to make more use of the cardio equipment and I'd like to make that a nicer place to be. 

Feeling: Like there's never enough time but confused as to why that is? I used to have five people to take care of, including all of the cleanup and things on the calendar. How can we be down to just two of us and I still don't seem to have enough time to get it all done? If anything, I think I a worse job of keeping my house clean!

Looking forward to: Possibly getting out of town this weekend to go see Miss H. 

Question of the week: Are you already burning apple-scented candles and drinking pumpkins spice coffee?

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved the Michael York Three Musketeers, and have many fond memories to seeing it on the big screen a few times, and then of course on TV many times.

    Watching Rockies baseball has gotten us through the summer--they're up and down, but it they are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so in love with York after watching this movie when I was younger but watching it now I couldn't help but think how much more beautiful Richard Chamberlain was!

      Delete
  2. Lisa, I had the same problem once my 2 children moved to their own place. I think I was better organized when the kids were home because I had to be. Once gone I think I found more time wasters so let the day to day slide a bit. Mine was all pre iPhones/iPads too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you're right! Because it feels like there's more time, it's much easier to get caught up in things that just burn time. But maybe we deserve it after years of being busy all of the time?!

      Delete
  3. I was not able to get any fall candles this past weekend. Although, I am sure I have a few stashed in closets because I tend to buy them when on sale. I just need to find them. I was tempted to do some fall drink this weekend but it was too hot. I guess I could get it iced. If my daughter passes her driving test this afternoon we are supposed to try a new coffee place so maybe I will then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep putting together fall candle orders and then backing out of the order once I see what shipping is. Hard to justify spending $35 on a 16 oz candle! I may actually have to go into a store soon!

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a great weekend with family! We are having a small cold spell yesterday and today and I am enjoying it! No pumpkin everything quite yet but I'm planning on making pumpkin chocolate chip cookies this weekend. I've Hood Feminism on hold at my library. I'm looking forward to it soon. I hope you have a healthy and safe week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started making soups this week (it's been cold and wet); can pumpkin be far behind?!

      Delete