Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sunday Salon - May 8

Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there, what ever form that may take! I'm looking forward to a lovely quiet day; I'm not sure what the kids are planning though (assuming they've thought that far ahead!). Reading on the patio will be a big part of my day, I'm sure.

I haven't been getting nearly enough reading in. Generally I'm not much of a television watcher, especially once football is over, but I've really gotten into "American Idol" this year so that's eating into some of my reading time. Are any of you fans? Do you have a favorite?

Yesterday I made a Half-Price Book Store run. Took a giant bag of books that was mostly kids books and came home with a new pair of reading glasses (they are soooo fun!) and Angela Carter's The Magic Toyshop. At the Omaha Lit Fest last fall, there was a lot of talk about Carter and this is the second of her books that I've picked up. I have yet to read the other but they don't show up there very often so I couldn't pass it by.

I had to make the terrible decision to hit the "Mark All As Read" on my Google Reader today. I was at nearly 900 unread posts and there's no way I'm going to even have time to read through all of them, let alone comment. Hoping that now I'll be able to at least keep up with the reading.

Must get reading this week. I've got several books that need to be done in short order. It's finally gotten warm out so I foresee a lot of reading on the patio this week. What's on your reading agenda for the week?

18 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! Hope you get some reading in! (The Angela Carter was a good find).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you! Haley is my fave on American Idol.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a patio to read on! That sounds heavenly. I am also envious of your trip to Half Price Books. I have not been there for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cartoon! I've got The Magic Toyshop in my tbr pile - I think it even shows up in a photo on my post today. It's hard to hit the 'mark all as read' button, but sometimes it the only way.

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Mother's day to you! I will, too, be reading most of the day. Then I'm seeing Water for Elephants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought an Angela Carter collection a few months ago, and am really looking forward to dipping into it. It looks fantastic! I hope you have a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Mother's Day! and thanks for that fun cartoon :)

    Love the cover of THE MAGIC TOYSHOP, I hope you enjoy your half-price finds.

    I hit the "mark all read" at the end of each week. I hate to do it (what if I'm missing something?!?), but this way I get a fresh start each Monday morning. I hope that if there's something THAT important I'll find out about it via twitter, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day, Lisa!! I hope you had that chance to read on the patio; I know I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, Thanks so much for the sweet comment on my Mother's Day post. I appreciate it. Hoping your day was special as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you had a great Mother's Day! And that it was relaxing as you were hoping.

    I hear ya on the google reader thing... I have around 100 unread posts every day. It takes at least 1-2 hours to go through them every morning. But with coffee, it's actually a really nice start to my days off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that supermom comic! So funny and pretty much true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Late Mother's Day!!

    Much like you I've been spending my afternoons outside..I'm loving the warm weather and feeling that sun on my face. I just finished a fantastic book, have dinner cooked, and now I'm just catching up with my blogging buddies!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that cartoon - so true! I read like a maniac last week, so I think my plan this week is to just chill. I don't watch American Idol, but I'm easily sucked into a lot of other television shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. I don't watch American Idol, but Dancing with the Stars cuts into my reading time, so I totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just had to smile when you mentioned the decision to 'mark all as read' --- I have been contemplating that same decision for weeks now :)

    Is the Omaha Lit Fest an annual event? If so, would you mind letting me know the dates for 2011? I would love to try to drive up there and attend. it sounds like so much fun!

    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had to smile when I read your decision to "mark all read" --- I have been contemplating the same choice for several weeks now :)

    Is the Omaha Lit Fest an annual event? If so, would you mind letting me know the dates for 2011? It sounds like such fun and I would love to attend, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Regarding the MarkAllAsRead inReader? I have just been ignoring Reader entirely! Eek.
    Hope you had a nice Moms Day. :)

    ReplyDelete